AHHHH!!!! Dicipline problems

My DD is 11months. When I tell her no (if she has something she shouldn't or doing something she shouldn't) she does NOT listen one bit. I will say no (firmly), take her away from the situation and place her somewhere else. Then try to distract her. She will go right back to the spot I told her not to be in. I do this over and over and over. She never listens. I don't know what else to do I am going crazy! Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I dont know what your feelings are towards spanking but I swat my daughters hands when i mover her away and you just need to be consistant i know it is hard and frustrating but it is better than the smart mouth when they get older.
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 5:37 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Keep doing what you're doing. She's still too young to quite get it until you've repeated yourself many many times.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• remove her say no and redirect her....keep saying no...if all else fails put up baby gates or playpen for her and make it too hard for her to get to that spot in the house.....
    be consistent.....
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 5:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Tell her no , at her eye level, and take her away from whatever it is she is doing. If she goes back then swat her behind. I can already see all the replies to me saying that, I am sure it will say I am horrible but honestly she is 11 months old which means she wears a diaper. The noise the diaper makes is actually what makes them stop not the swat. They do not even feel the swat through all that. If she is going around bare bottom though then don't swat her (or at least I don't)
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 6:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• At 11 months she doesn't have the brain development to REMEMBER what you just told her. So yes, you just need to keep re-directing her and re-directing her and if necessary, move her to a completely different part of the room or get on your hands and knees and play with her long enough to remain distracted. At this age, being consistent on redirecting her (yes, even a hundred times) is your best choice - not spanking or hitting. Why? Because spanking or hitting will eventually lead her to stop exploring - which at this age is her NUMBER ONE job. You don't want to discourage exploration - that's how she learns. But you do want to make sure the location she is exploring is safe for her so that she can learn. Redirection also teaches her the Yes that goes along with the No so that eventually she'll be able to redirect herself and won't become dependent on you to tell her when to stop - she'll learn as long as you are consistent.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 6:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2009