What do you think I should do??

My husband wants to join the coast guard so he can finish up his pilot training and fly the helicopters for them. I don't really know what to think about it or if I even want him to.

He was going to a helicopter school here and they shut down nation wide and filed bankruptcy so he didn't get to finish up his training. He really enjoys flying them but I just don't want to have to up and move all the time...Military is very unpredictable and I don't know that I want my children to move everytime daddy has to be stationed somewhere else.

Would you encourage your husband to go or ask him to please not?? I really don't want to hold him back from his dream so I don't know what to do...maybe I have already answered my own question... Oh and I really don't want to be stationed in Alaska which his friend has convinced him to if they both enlist. AHHH WAY TO COLD FOR ME!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• Like any other decision....weigh the pros and cons. If he doesn't do this, what might he do instead?

Consider this: After his service, he could work in law enforcement or firefighting, and be more stable as far as residency. Military vets do get preferential treatment for these kinds of jobs.

You have to look at more than just the next few years...you need to look long-term.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My hubby is in the military and he joined for 6 yrs. I am a family gal and get lonely very easy and shy so its hard for me to make friends. I lived in WI all my life. Then after my hubby finished bootcamp and A School we moved to VA. It was a long distance from my family but after 3 1/2yrs it was the best thing i could have done for me and my family and allowing him to join. It's hard to deal with sometimes but If your hubby is willing to work hard and support his family and do something he loves give it a try. If it doesnt work out he doesnt have to re-enlist.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My SO is in the Air Force and I'd follow him anywhere. His dream is his but life with him is mine.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• u shouldn't try to stop someone from fulfilling their dream. if it's something he really wants.it's not something he could do when he's older. it may not be what u want, but ppl can't control their dreams...
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 6:18 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I would encourage mine to go.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• im in the air force and we just spent out first winter in south dakota. never thought i could hack the blizzards but the snow is super fun. the kids love sledding and building snowmen and it is just so beautiful. i have heard great things about alaska from several people that used to be stationed there. you never know till you get there. maybe if you go along with him joining you could make a deal on where you could possibly be stationed. look at the map and talk about something that would work out for you both. i personally have loved the military life and the great friends i have made. goodluck in your decision. :)
    trelimon

Answer by trelimon at 8:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Okay so after reading these answers I decided on it. I am encouraging him to go. It might be good for our lil family. I don't really mind moving away from my home except Alaska lol...but who knows I might like it once I get there...if we go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2009