How many feel the "cash for klunkers" is a waste of vehicles?

This totally upsets me and is counterproductive. My husband is in used cars, since the economy has caused people to switch to more affordable used vehicles over new cars. He voiced concerns over the loss of perfectly nice vehicles being destroyed that many people would love to have. There is nothing wrong w/them. Little cars isn't everyone's cup of tea, I drive a conversion van. Families don't fit comfortably in tiny cars. Ask anyone who's ever tried getting 2 carseats in a honda. Not to mention traveling. Trading them in is fine but destroying and filling up landfills, instead of recycling that's wasteful.

CosmicMomma

Asked by CosmicMomma at 5:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• what are they doing with the trade in cars?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:45 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i think its dumb.. all those cars are fine and they are goin to throw them out. i would take one of them any day. hell they are takin cars that get 25mpg and trashing them the dumbasses
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I think they should donate the cars!
    effie777

Answer by effie777 at 5:50 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It is waste, period. It is more 'corporate welfare' for the car industry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I agree that they should donate the used cars or sell them....But here is the plan.....the government wants to get rid of all the used cars....so everyone has to buy new.......well I'm keeping my old car because it's paid for and I can't afford a car payment.......

So this is for the governments cash for clunkers program from ME......

sticking out tongue

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 6:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• What they are required to do with the traded-in "clunkers" ( but keep in mind that these are NOT clunkers - they must be no older than the 80's, and be in running condition: regularly driven cars ) is this: they must drain out the oil, put in a chemical and run the engine until it burns up the engine. NO parts may be removed from these vehicles. They must be delivered to be crushed, baled, and then they are shipped to China.

As long as not TOO many cars get demolished this way, then hopefully it will not create a shortage of used cars for young or poor people to be able to get their first car, so that they can do things like get to their job. And hopefully, it will not impact the availability of parts for the owners of older cars who DON'T want to buy.

The only reason for NOT taking the parts is so that more people must buy NEW parts. It kinda looks like a payoff for the union like United Auto Workers.

It's sad WASTE!
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yes it is a total waste of money and those cars could go to the lower income class that might need a car to get to their job. Like they said on fox news, this program is geared towards those who can afford a car payment and then those perfectly running cars are then destroyed, although I did hear they could use them for parts but they couldn't use the engine/transmission.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 6:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Agree sad waste.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• This is a control issue. The government is notorious for giving you something as an incentinve and then telling you what you can and cant do with it. So I can take my 01 Lincoln Navigator that seats 8, fully loaded into a dealer. It has about 170k miles on it. They will give me likely about $3k for it plus the governments $3500 on top fo that. Thats $6500 towards a new vehicle. What am I going to buy that gets more than 5 mpg MORE than what I have and can seat 8 people? Minivans usually on go about 18. So if I find one that gets 18, then I qualify. The brand new van is going to cost, oh say....$30k and thats being conservative. So my total debt would be $23,500.00 with a payment of around $500 a mo. That will take me 5 MORE years to pay off when right now, I only have a note that is $3800. It will be paid for in a few months and then Im still driving it. The extra mileage only saves me about $200 a month, so Im still spending.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Oh and let me add that if I were to private sell my vehicle to a nice family that needed it and were very conservative in their usage....I would get about $6500 for it. So I could STILL get my money and another good family gets a good used vehicle. WIN WIN. But no, the government wants to take my so called clunker, which it is NOT and trash it? Thats the most insane thing ive heard lately. What is wrong with people that they cannot see this?
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2009