How do you deal with not listening?

My son is almost 27 months old. For the most part he's a very good child. He will happily help pick up toys, feed his dog, dusting, he loves to do anything if he thinks it's helping. But he just won't listen. If he's outside playing, and I say come get shoes on he'll totally ignore me. If I go out into the yard to get him, he'd try to run from me. I started spanking his bottom for running, so he's just about quit that. And when he does listen I give him lots of praise, but it doesn't seem to be helping any. How can I get him to listen? How do you react when your child doesn't?

momma_marian

Asked by momma_marian at 5:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has some problems listening too. He's very much the same as yours by the sounds of things. Loves helping, tidying up and pretty much doing anything I do or anything that he thinks will be helpful.

One of my biggest frustrations is him not listening. He gets time outs for not listening but so far it hasn't really made a difference in him listening right off the bat.
    He'll do what he's told or not touch what he was just given the time out for but as for listening the first time and avoiding the time out altogether? I have no idea.

I am just trying to stay consistent so that it will hopefully stick one day.
    I also praise the ever loving crap out of him when he does listen. :)
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 6:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Try a shock collar.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• That's about stupid... Why are people like you on here if you're going to act like this???? Go somewhere else.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 5:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I'm sorry, I just feel silly right now. I was kidding.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:54 PM on Aug. 3, 2009