Why is it so important?

Hi I am a mom of a 18month old....why is it so important for my daughtewr to move to an afternoon nap...When i put her down @ 10:30 she sleeps until 1:30 when I put her down @ 1200 she sleep until..1:00??? She is more grouchy and my friends say thats what everyone does..but why??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are you changing anything to make it easier for her to take an afternoon nap? Otherwise let her sleep when she needs to sleep, why do you HAVE to change anyway?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Do what works for you and your baby. Who cares what anyone else does?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• If it works for the both of you, dont worry about your friend. Does your LO sleep good at night, if so dont worry
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I don't have to change....But my friends said most people have there kids take afternoon naps only??? She was fine before we switched....I was trying to take her to the park and make play dates to keep her occupied.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My kids did mid-day naps at that age - 11:30 to 1:30 - not really morning or afternoon. They were in daycare and on the same schedule as lots of other kids, so I think what your friends say everyone does is really just what they do. The ones doing naps later in the day may keep their kids up later at night and let them sleep in longer in the morning too - it's not "better" - just different. Do whatever works for your child and adjust it when it doesn't work any more. By the time she's two a later nap may work better and fall more into the same schedule as your friend's kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• goodness!!! dodn't listen to what other moms do. You'll go nuts. Put your little one down when she sleeps the best. Every child is different and sleeps at different times. I have 3 boys now and that is the only reason i try to get the 2 younger ones to nap at the same time so i can get thing done around the house.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 6:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I agree with the other posts, just do whatever works for you and your daughter. If you are interested in starting to move her to an afternoon nap I wouldn't just jump to 12 I would put her down at 10:45 for a few days maybe even a week and see how that goes. Then I would move it back to putting her down around 11, so every few days or so move the start of the nap time back 15 until it gets to be closer to an afternoon nap. But I wouldn't rush it some kids do like to sleep earlier. You might not be able to push the start of the nap much later until she gets older.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 7:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• do what works for you, don't worry about anyone else. little ones don't understand conformity, they're not going to nap when little johnny does just because.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 8:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I'd rather mine miss some playdates than be a bear. Nap when it's best for your daughter. Sounds like most of her nap IS in the afternoon. :)
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009