Do you give money to homeless people standing on a street holding up signs?

I feel so bad for them but im not in a situation to where I can hand out money. I have taken food to people before. I have never seen so many homeless people before this past 2 years. All of our shelters are full here so they really have no where to go. It so sad when you see a prengant women or small childern standing out there with their parents. I do know some people do this to scam people but not all of them. I have spoken to a few people before and I wish I could help in some way more than I can. Would you rather give them money or go get them food or things they need. I have handed out flyers before telling them where to go get free meals and possible shelter but still it breaks my heart.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You have a kind heart, OP!

I have given money in the past. We donate food through my child's school.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 6:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• No. I can't ever hand them money. I have given food, and refreshments too.
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 6:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I saw a 20/20 episode where people did this for a living and they then drove away in there lexus...He was making up to 500 dollars a day tax free!!....I never give money only food!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• "If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them, will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    - Thomas Jefferson
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Sometimes if I am in a generous mood, I'll give them what I can, but there a few jerks out there who ruin it for people who really are in need of any money they can get. One time in a parking lot, a man walked up to us and said he was trying to get money to feed his gf and her daughter. Well we had just bought groceries for our own kids so all I had literally was change. I told him that and gave it to him thinking if he gets more, it'll add up. So he walks away mad and grumbling because I only gave him change! I was tempted to tell him to give it back but he wouldn't have!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It's sad now because these days, people will even use kids to scam others. One night a man who had a little boy with him walked up to me and said they ran out of gas and asked if I could help him out. He was carrying a gas can so I gave him a couple bucks. Well a couple nights later I went to the same store and saw him out there again! With the little boy and a gas can. So unless he has really bad luck and always runs out of gas in the same spot, he was scamming people.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i have given money in the past. I donate a lot to my church, schools, etc (when i can), but there was an aritcle in another adjacent cities newspaper two years ago, and this guy admitted that after he lost his job, he made more money begging for money on the corner and that he wasn't even going to look for a job. He bragged that he cleared 30 thousand the year before doing that, has his home still, drives a nice car, so he felt if people were going to help him out, he's going to keep doing it. Sad for the people out there that really do need the help.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 6:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I gave a bottle of water, our boys were with me and asked me why I did that, I told them because it was hot and he looked thirsty.. We were outside a walmart at an intersection and I told him to take the bottle in and get more out of the fountain inside... I didn't want to give money, and I didn't have any food in the car.. If you give money they are more likely to go get alcohol, drugs etc.. Unless of course they are fake.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• we've given money in the past, or offered to buy food but we don't have alot of beggers in our area. we really only have 1 and she sits outside her house and holds a sign, and she's done this for about a year and a half now.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 6:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I would never give money, but I would have no problem handing them a bag full of food, and warm clothes.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 7:26 PM on Aug. 3, 2009