Help!!! My 19 month old still drinks out of a bottle.....

She freaks if I try to give her a sippy cup....she will cry for 45 minutes...what do i do???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• developmentally, no child should be taking a bottle past 18 months. Usually 10 months to a year. parents start to transition to a tippy, some a little longer. If she screams, put her in time out (yes, she's old enough) and tell her no. Throw all the bottles out so you won't be tempted to give in. Usually, within a week the child transitions, but since you've already given in (how many times?), it may take you longer. And, after a good 45 minute scream session she should be thirsty. One of you will have to give in....who will it be?

doing what's best for your child is not "rushing" them, unless you wean them before 6 months, but 19 months...you need to give her a little push.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 6:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• DON'T GIVE IN! HAVE HER HELP THROW AWAY THE BOTTLES AND LET HER SCREAM!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 6:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I agree you just have to do it. No turning back or it will never end. Probably would have been easier a little sooner. But otherwise she will probably make a decision to switch on her own.
    KatSul

Answer by KatSul at 6:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• OMG is this my sister on her? take them bottles before they RUIN her teeth.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 6:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• She's not ready. Why rush her? People are always rushing their children. My 13 month old is still on the bottle and probably will be until closer to two.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Throw away the bottles and try to give her the soft spout sippy cups. They're more like a bottle but they're for big girls and boys.
    innocencexinxme

Answer by innocencexinxme at 6:14 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• if they losse there teeth anyway why does she have to worry about the bottle???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• SIMPLE DONT GIVER A BOTTLE go cold turkety let her cry she'll be fine. my dd was out of a bopttle thje day she turn one. she is 19 mts your are letting her win the battle your the parent .
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i just threw away the bottles my kids only had a fit for the first day
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 6:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2009