The baby's stomach looks like it's going to explode in the ultrasound??

My friend is pregnant and had an ultrasound today and as soon as the ultrasound tech started looking she turned the machine off and said she was going to get a Dr. The Dr. explained that the baby's stomach was way too big and he doesn't know what is wrong. She lives in a small town so the Dr. transferred her to a bigger city to be looked at? Has anybody ever heard of this or know what it could be?

theutilitarian

Asked by theutilitarian at 6:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is possible that the baby has some of it's organs on the outside of it's body. Depending on the degree sometimes these kids stay in the hospital for a little bit sometimes longer. Occasionally it will close up on it's own before birth. Also, if it has a hole in the diaphragm that could be the problem too.
    No matter what she should go to a specialist and you should try to be as positive as possible for her!
    RyaMamaRN

Answer by RyaMamaRN at 7:05 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• No but that is so sad. I'm so sorry for your friend.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 6:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• First thing that came to my mind is a tumor. I hope that's not the case.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• im so sorry. first thing that comes to mind is tumor, fluid build up, or organs out of place. i'm praying for the baby
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It may be that baby just swallowed fluid, but I'm sure they will probably have her get blood work done or an amnio to make sure everything is fine. Best wishes to her!
    Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 6:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Oh that's so sad! My thoughts are with her! I wish I could help, but I really have no idea....it just breaks my heart though !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 7:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Sorry to hear that. be there for her no matter what and remain with a positive attitude through out the whole diagnosis process. I think organs out of place or tumor but only her doctors can tell her for sure. You are a good friend, I send her and the baby good wishes, I hope it al works out for both of them with the best outcome.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 8:34 AM on Aug. 4, 2009