Lemon water for kids?

During the summer, I try to get the kids to drink some extra water. I am big on water year round, but push it more during the summer. So I put some fresh lemon in the last couple of cups I give the kids each day. I never thought anything of it, since both kids eats oranges and grapefruit. But my mother in law said it was bad for my daughter, and that my son should only have one glass of lemon water a day. They are 7 and 18 months. I figured since my daughter was okay for citrus fruits at 9 months, a bit of lemon diluted in water once or twice a day was fine, but am I wrong?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I love lemon in my water. I don't see anything wrong with giving your children that.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 6:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Citrus is an allergy trigger, but is fine past your child's first birthday. I am guessing that this is some sort of urban myth.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I would think it's fine, I also do cucumber water...
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 6:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• if the kids don't seem to have a problem with it, then your mother in law shouldn't. Why does she think it's bad.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 6:52 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• it's fine. i don't do it every day, but the kids do enjoy it. i've also done lime, orange, grapefruit, and cucumber.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 7:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• If your kids have been drinking it and having no problems, keep doing it. You can also try frozen berries, limes, oranges, cucumbers. It isn't up to your MIL what your child should be fed or drink, you are the parent and you get to chose. I say, if a child can handle something and has no problems, then let them have it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Citrus can be an allergy problem if given before 12 months old, but if you have been giving it and they are fine then I don't see problem. Mine prefer orange slices in theirs though and cucumbers too.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2009