Have American's been "dumbed down" by all of this PCness?

I absolutely believe so myself...and too long of not speaking up enough is why..
We already know liberalism has taken over the schools and entertainment and it did not start yesturday by far.

we've dumbed down America because nobody can fail ... nobody can get their feelings hurt ... nobody can be left out nobody has to accept responsibility.

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 6:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Political Correctness has been taken too far. While it's right to think about what you want to say, to want to not offend someone, that does not mean that you should not speak your mind. As long as your respectful, you have nothing to worry about, imo.
    gludwig2000

Answer by gludwig2000 at 6:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• "American's "

No apostrophe needed. "Americans." Just sayin'. It's hard to argue on intelligence with an error in the title! :-) (Not to say I'm that great a typist either!)

That said....dumbing down was happening LONG before anyone dreamed up the term "political correctness."

We are not as educated, coming out of high school, as our parents and grandparents were. (And I graduated in 1981...it's not a new phenomenon by any means.)

I do think that school is now becoming tougher, though. My son's 4th grade homework made me tremble in fear. He was already getting ALGEBRA! 5th grade terrifies me.

And oh yes, it's QUITE possible to fail and be held back and YES, kids are being made to take responsibility. I'm seeing it all the time.

Maybe it's not happening where you are?

Answer by gdiamante at 6:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yup just like everyone makes the team now and no one is cut no matter how bad they suck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• gd as if you really HAD to point out the little error in my title lol.Anyway,you are wrong this is ALLL over the country.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• gludwig yes it has gone way too far.
    tnmomofive

• I think at at the earliest levels of sports, for example, yes everyone should make the team but they should also have to earn the chance to play, in other words, if you dont show up to practice then you dont get to play in the next game, or if you show up but dont do what yorue told and try to play then you shouldnt get to play, this way every one gets s chance to know if its right for them (if you dont try then how do you know) but as they get older if needs to be an effort and skill based thing. in answer to your question ( i got alittle off track there for a moment) yes i think america has become entirely too politcally correct. Its become a game of eggshells, you cant express an opinion without offending everyone, at some point your not going to get that job, or make the ball team, or win the game, suck it up and move one!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 6:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• oops, i meant move on!!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 6:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• yes i think america has become entirely too politcally correct. Its become a game of eggshells, you cant express an opinion without offending everyone, at some point your not going to get that job, or make the ball team, or win the game, suck it up and move one! ~elan

Exactly,my opinion is that is just one thing that has actually worked against AMERICANS (hehe) uniting.I think in alot of ways we were better off before this garbage went this far.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Political correctness would be fine if it weren't the ONLY virtue allowed, the ONLY virtue taught in public schools - all the other virtues are too politically-INcorrect and got censored out of the curriculum. You can't talk about right or wrong, good or bad, true or false; you are only allowed to talk about "choice", "everyone has his own opinion" "don't discriminate". And I have been shocked to encounter that some people take the "don't discriminate" to mean NEVER distinguish or evaluate or decide whether a deed or opinion is constructive or destructive, sane or insane !

And I like the notion of "as long as you're respectful" - but that gets used to silence people who are objecting to legitimate wrongs. Being impolite or risking offending someone is more taboo than watching as they abuse a victim. Even policemen must deal with this crazy taboo !

... Pointing out corruption is called "racist" if the criminal is black.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 6:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yes.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2009