"Stealing" WIFI Service?

I recently moved into a new home that is near a local elementary school. The school district recently upgraded their computers to WIFI and since my laptop from work has a WIFI card, I can access the Internet through the school's server because we are within range.

Is it illegal to use the Internet this way? Is the connection safe if I do things like pay bills? Sorry if this sounds ignorant, I am a new WIFI user and have always used cable or direct dial access.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• OP again.

So after a conversation about favorite beer with the Comcast guy (I needed to make sure he was cool, ;o), he told me that using the Internet off an unsecured network wasn't illegal per se, but if Comcast or the service provider found out, they could block you from connecting. Also, he told me he and his roommate were both using their neighbors network on their laptops. The neighbor was able to see their IP addresses and purposefully sent a virus to both their computers that resulted in wiping their hard drives clean. So, if it isn't a public network that you connect to, you are at the mercy of that individual and whatever virus or spyware they intentionally or otherwise pick up.

As another poster said, this is more of an issue of ethics. If you are close to a business that provides free service like a school or hotel, you probably aren't at high risk. But if you are using a neighbors network, beware. Thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yes it is illegal! You connecting to a network that is not yours so you have to talk at least to the school and let them know or ask if you can use it!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 6:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• You should be fine. I used to use the college's wifi. It is not as though you will be costing them any money. The only things they could get access to is your shared folders. Make sure those are empty.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:23 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• actually they will know you are stealing. i'd recommend for you to stop doing it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It's a public wifi. If they were worried about others using it, they would put a password on it. I don't see the harm in it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Pay for your own damn Internet. It's the the school district's responsibility to accommodate your wants. They could also find out and press charges against you. But hey, do what you want.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• As a person that has a WiFi set up, yes that is stealing, yes we do know when and how you use it, and yes we can find you ;-)
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 6:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It is illegal and you could get into some serious trouble when they find out - and they WILL find out!
    MommyToAly429

Answer by MommyToAly429 at 6:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• you could be arrested :

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Steal-WiFi-In-Maryland-Face-3-Year-Prison-Stretch-92838
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Yes ,it is illegal. Yes, they can prosecute. Yes, they know the IP address of the computer you are using. You are a 'slug' in the system, You slow it down for the people who SHOULD be benefitting from it.
    Anonymous