Needing help with poty training my 2 year old son!

When i poty trained my daughter it was fun and easy. Now its my son's trun and he will not even try i put him on the poty and he fights me. I have tryed to big boy underwer and he brings them to me for him to put on but he wont set on the poty.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i hear boys are alot harder to train. not looking forward to potty training my lil man
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i found out that boys take longer than girls. if he is resisting to much back off a bit for like a few days and try rewards. my middle child wasnt potty trained until he was 4. i was so aggravated and thought he be in diapers/pullups forever i just backed off and when he had an accident i just changed him cleaned him up and said nothing(i mean nothing i didnt say a single word to him while he was gettin cleaned and changed) and gave praise when he went big praise clapping and woohoos and high fives ect. just hang in there he will get it eventually
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 6:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My son is hard too...he is 26 months old and I have been trying since 18 months. He does get it but he doesn't want to so I am not pressing it on him. When his diaper is off he will run to the potty now when he has to go but he will not go poop at all. He'd rather go in a corner if his diaper is off...If his diaper is on he will not go on the potty. Even if he says he has to go or holds himself I will ask him if he wants to go on the potty and he runs the opposite direction. So once a month I will try it until he get's it. don't be discouraged it will happen on his terms.
    stummegirl

Answer by stummegirl at 6:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My son is 2.5 and what worked for us was
    A) making a huge deal whenever he even sat on the potty when we first started trying.
    B) Reading him stories while he was on the potty or bringing it through to the living room and letting him watch cartoons while sitting on it to get him used to it.
    C) Giving him a potty chart. Basically a piece of construction paper with his name on it and every time he goes pee on the potty he gets to put a sticker on it all by himself.
    He gets so stoked about choosing a sticker and putting it on the chart himself.

We also let him dump the pee in the toilet himself and flush it. Then we give him high fives and tell him how awesome he is.

He still wont poop on the potty but we figure he will when he's ready.
    Boys do take longer than girls and it's good not to force them so they don't resent the potty.

He'll get it eventually :)
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I potty trained my 2 1/2 year old son at 18 months and it took about a month. I didn't give him much choice in the matter, just one day put him in underwear and that was it... Id sit him on the potty until he went, give an m&m and praised him. If he got up from the potty and then had an accident pretty soon after, Id put him in the tub, get the shower head and make him take a cold shower or bath (now, granted, I live in central tx so the water was never like ice, but it was cool enough to be unpleasant) I didn't spank or yell, I just made that the consequence for having an accident. I never used a pull-up and I never put a diaper on him at night. It created more laundry, but now, at 2 1/2, he can go to the bathroom completely by himself with no problems.
    GMama07

Answer by GMama07 at 8:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2009