Would you get upset if your daughter was going out with a divorced man and father of one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• No. I dated (and then married) my husband and he was divorced with 2 children. My mom didn't like it but what could she do? I was 25. Everybody has a story and I don't know what this guys story is, but I would hear it first before judging the guy.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 9:38 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• How old is the daughter? If she was like 22, nope. If she was 15, hell yeah!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 6:58 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• No... Well I guess it depends on how old my daughter is. Is the man active in his child's life? If he wasn't then I'd question his character, but what's wrong with a father of one?
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 6:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• toria Who are you, a mind reader? 22 and he is father of a 2 year old
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• as long as she was of age i wouldnt mind.
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I'm actually 22, that's why I threw that out there, lol. No, at that age I wouldn't. However, if you don't want to see your daughter divorced, I'd eventually have a talk with her and see why he got divorced and how he currently feels about divorce.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 7:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• No...well I'd be upset, but she is 22 so you can't really say too much. You can guide her and talk to her about the situation. But make sure you support her in her decision. I definitely agree with toriandgrace and ask about why he is divorced and if he's in the child's life, etc.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 7:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It's okay to express your concerns and ask her to fill you in about him. It depends on why he's divorced, but he could always lie about it too.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 7:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It would depend on HIS age too. My SO is 30, I'm 24, so it is possible that someone just got married too young and had a baby, or had a baby and felt they HAD to get married. I would find out the whole situation first.
    But if it was my daughter, yes, I'd flip out lol.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 8:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Well, 22 is young but she is still very much an adult. If she hasn't matured enough to be responsible in relationships but now then there are other issues that need to be resolved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009