How many moms banked the imbilical cord blood and has anyone had to use it? Did it work?

Draydensmom7708

Asked by Draydensmom7708 at 7:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Health

• I thought about it, but it is crazy expensive! Instead I just asked that the umbilical not be cut until the blood was pumped into the baby, that's where it's supposed to go anyway.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 7:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I've signed contracts and everything for when my baby is born I will have it banked but i hope I will never need to use it but I am glad that it iis there just in case
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 7:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It's not even an option at the hospitals I delivered at.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I don't know... how many?

It wasn't available 20 years ago when my kids were born.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:41 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It's not available in my area, and because I had gotten a tattoo with a year of my daughter's birth, I couldn't donate it. I just let the blood pump into baby like it's supposed to.
    MelanieLouise

Answer by MelanieLouise at 8:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I can't afford it now and I couldn't with my son. I once read that only about 1% of it would ever be needed. I also read that there's a high chance of it not being done properly so that if you DO need to use it, you can't. With my son we didn't ask for anything to be done but with my daughter we'll be allowing it all to pump into her and then I'm giving my placenta to the doulas so if there's anything left, they'll have it.
    SxdUpAngel

Answer by SxdUpAngel at 8:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• you can donate to a public bank and if it matches someone that needs it they can use it incase you never need it. also, they likelyhood of someone else matching is rare. so it may still be there if you ever do need it. ask your obgyn/ midwife about a public banking option.
    honeybee429

Answer by honeybee429 at 9:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I banked it in 1999. I pay $125/yr plus whatever my beginning cost was. I did not know that the blood was supposed to go back into the baby. I just assumed they cut the cord like they always do. I did it because I had a daughter w/cancer, and if we need it, it is there.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 10:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2009