I read somewhere that you can donate your cord blood?

Anyone ever heard of that? It's what we should be doing, donating the cord blood to a cord blood bank and then letting whoever needs that blood have it, right?

i dont know how people pay the thousands of dollars to store it!!

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 7:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Also you can donate even if your hospital doesn't participate in cord blood banking. Check out www.marrow.org.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 8:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Im paying 2,100 to store my babies cordblood and 125 per year after because it is more likely to work if it is ur own child or family members cordblood. and If my baby needs it I dont want to have to pay thousands of dollars to have what was already ours so Im not taking the risk. No thanks
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I was going to do it, but it became WAY to much of a hassel, if they made it easier I would have in a heart beat.
    Only ONE state (i can't remember it now) took donations on cord blood, and You had to jump throu hoops just to get them to come down to pick it up. PLUS you still get charged by your OB to do the procedure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• No you pay for the OB charge, if ur hospital does charge, along with the money u pay to have it stored. its all a package.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• wow dom

they should really give you a discount, but yeah if your kid ever needs it that's cool
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:51 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I wish I had a discount but Its life long and works on any sibling or close relative...My baby doesnt need it as far as I know yet, but when he's born I dont know what may happen, or If i have another what will happen with that one so Im just preparing as much as I can

But it is pricy but u kind of just have to know what u want to do, if u dont want to then whatever but if u see the benefits then u make it work...Health is never promised

Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 7:54 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It is a complete waste of money to save it unless you have a FAMILY history of a blood disorder. There is no point otherwise. We donated my son's and it didn't cost us a dime. I would much rather it be used for a baby that needs it, or for research, than spend a few thousand dollars for it to sit in a cord blood bank for the end of time. It is also NOT true that it cost thousands of dollars if your child gets a cord blood donation in the future. It is the same as getting any kind of transplant, you pay your share and insurance pays the rest. I think it is absurd that the cord blood is thrown away in most cases. It should be donated and if there isn't enough for donation, then it should go to research. Never let it be thrown away.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 8:01 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• www.marrow.org

there is more information there. I cant donate because there isnt a hospital near me that does it.
    AshlieTolliver

Answer by AshlieTolliver at 8:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Companies like ViaCord are a business, with the purpose of making money. Do you think they will honestly give you accurate info regarding what should happen if your child needs cord blood (unlikely without a family history of blood disorders)? I did a lot of research on this before my son was born. I see no point in saving it when another baby/child could be benefiting from it NOW by donating it.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 8:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• yes u do have to pay for the corblood if u need it and its not yours. Its rare thus making it more costly
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2009