Seperation anxiety or something more serious?

My son is 1 1/2 now and has seemed to develope "seperation anxiety" overnight! I stayed at home with him for a year. When my son was about a year his dad kicked us out, moved his new girlfriend in his house a week later and then got married a couple months after that. Needless to say, I had to go back to work and he had ALOT of changes in a very short period of time. He seemed ok until about a month ago. Now I can't get out of a 3 ft radius of him without him screaming. It's like he's paralyzed with fear. He likes the babysitter but is scared of the other children now. How do I deal with this? Do I try my hardest to console and give him what he wants or do I ignore him when he throws fits and cries? I don't understand it. I've never left him and not come back. I haven't even gone out and left him with family overnight before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honestly.. my daughter has been doing this for a long time.. I can't walk out of the living room to the bathroom without her screaming and crying.

We've started ignoring her because well.. I do have to pee... and often being pregnant. But she is 18 months, and its as bad as it ever was.. and if I leave the house.. forget it. My hubby says she cries for like 10 minutes before she settles down.

We did find that ignoring it, tends to work better then anything else. We will have to leave her with family in a couple weeks when I have her sister.. we have NO idea how that is going to go =\ Hope someone has some advice for you, but I feel your pain!
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 10:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2009