TMI Hes almost 10 and poop is the issue.

my son says he cant feel it when he has to poop or cant tell that he has poop all over his butthole from not wiping correctly. hes seen that its there by way of a mirror and gets embarrased.( he lives with his dad and yes ive talked to him about it but thats a no where street, so im left to you all for advice!) ne ways, i know my son ignores the feeling of having to go because he doesnt want to stop playing so then the result is poop stained underroos and a hurried wipe job. even with wet ones. he smells of poop often when i pick him up for the weekend and sometimes if i dont get him in the shower right away i will find little turd nuggets on my floor. and let me tell you i come unglued. do you ever have to deal with this or have you and if so what the ------do i do?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Well his father should be stepping up to make sure that he is wiping correctly cause your son is at the age of he needs dad. So dad is not stepping up you need to and get something done about it. Bring him to the doctors and have him take a look at things and if dad has a problem with that then he can come to the doctors office with him and you. He is not showering correctly at home(DADS) if he smell like shit when you pick him up. Dad needs to be on the same page as you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• im aware of the dad thing and thats not an option because ive been trying that for a VERY long time, ANY other advice will be greatly appreciated. ANY reguarding his father will not, thanks:)
    bnnic

Answer by bnnic at 9:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• It may be a simple hygiene issue but red flags went up for me.I'm assuming because you didn't mention anything that he has no physical challenges like anal retention or Sensory intergration problems.   Does your son show any signs of attention deficit?  Children who have ADD/ADHD , especially boys, often have bowel issues that extend long past what is considered a 'normal' age for such things. Giving his overall physical and emotional behavior a good think sometimes brings other things to light as well. 

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• You should go to the doctor for a check up. There is a condition that actually prevents them from feeling it till it is to late. I just found out that diabetics can have this problem (know adults who had accidents and you know they would not do it on purpose or being lazy). My son has the condition and it is getting worse that we are going to a specialist.

Get it checked out because it is where a big 'poop' can sit in the bowel. Loose ones will get by but this big one will continue to grow and obstruct the bowel and can be dangerous. Also they loose their sense of smell. think of your home you walk in and you think nothing of it. You go into someone elses and you notice the different odors/fragnances. Same for them they no longer can smell poop and don't realize they have a problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I agree with anon 12:38/am. My son had an issue with not being able to feel when he had to poop, I don't remember what it is called but there really is a disorder. Most people out grow it but some need surgery to fix the problem. Talk to his doctor.

I don't believe at all that ADD/ADHD has anything to do with the disorder or having pooping issues. I have dealt with my son's ADD since he was 10 (well after his pooping problems were fixed) and have dealt with a lot of kids with ADD/ADHD and NONE of them had bathroom problems.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:45 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My 10 y.o SS has the "poop" issue as well. With him, it is mostly an issue of not wanting to stop what he is doing. The problem has gotten worse over the summer b/c he is outside playing a lot & doesn't want to come in.

So, now, before he goes outside & at other times during the day, we ask him if he needs to poop. Yes, the question can make him uncomfortable but he needs to learn to listen to his body & if the question helps him to listen, then we will keep asking the question.

Good luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It's actually a normal thing for kids to get too busy playing or get busy doing something else and not noticing when they have to go to the bathroom. How can you say you know he ignores it, it could be true that he may not realize he has to go to the bathroom until it's too late. If you are finding little "turd nuggets" as you call them that means he is constipated and THAT could be the biggest issue. As for him smelling of poop when you pick him up i'd be getting on to his father for not paying more attention that it has gotten so bad. ... Maybe take him to the doctor just to rule out other problems.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:40 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• We went through this. He is constipated so badly that he can no longer tell when he is going to go poop. There is a large painful mass blocking his bowel and then some loose material that can pass around it, but the large mass stays put. Try not to be mad at him, get him to the doctor!
    He will need laxatives and stool softeners to move the obstruction, then lots of patience from you while he learns to listen to his body. He might require surgery if it is very bad and has gone on for too long, so please go to the doctor.
    oicmommy

Answer by oicmommy at 8:45 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My son had "learned constipation" too. It's almost normal for boys to do this for a time, but you definitely need to take care of it before it contributes to larger issues. The doc explained the long-term ramifications to our son including the potential for living his life with a colostomy bag. He also outlined the next steps (laxitives and then enimas). Suddenly he was completely on board with making an effort. We started with poleth glycol from the doctor, but adjusting the dosage was difficult and I didn't like the idea of using laxatives long term. I discovered some yoga stretches that we have both found to be very beneficial and my son can not only recognize the feeling, but takes time from whatever he's doing to respond. You still need to get dad on board. Talk to the doc about your challenges before and and then make dad go with to the appointment. I bet the doc knows how to handle these situations. Good luck!
    wya_mom

Answer by wya_mom at 9:45 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i would take him to a doctor and make sure the dad helps him wipe good! and everything!
    mommmyof2soon

Answer by mommmyof2soon at 10:20 PM on Aug. 5, 2009