What do you think about depression in children as little as 3 years old?

Who out there thinks that depression in children even chronic is mostly caused from a chemical embalance or from the environment they grow up in? What do you all think about this??

Read full story here-- http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32271786/ns/health-kids_and_parenting

CHICAGO - Depression in children as young as 3 is real and not just a passing grumpy mood, according to provocative new research.

The study is billed as the first to show major depression can be chronic even in very young children, contrary to the stereotype of the happy-go-lucky preschooler.

Until fairly recently, "people really haven't paid much attention to depressive disorders in children under the age of 6," said lead author Dr. Joan Luby, a psychiatrist at Washington University in St. Louis. "They didn't think it could happen ... because children under 6 were too emotionally immature to experience it."

rlapierre03

Asked by rlapierre03 at 9:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• its possible but idk i got really depressed at 6 after my grandma died and i was on anti-depressants until i was 18. i don't need them anymore now. i was surprised because i thought i would get PPD but so thankful i didn't. i just had the baby blues for a couple weeks due to lack of sleep and being a new mother which is common
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• its a chemical thing so i believe its possible... 3 year olds can get cancer and other terrible illnesses, so they must be able to have chemical depression as well.
    annelebar

Answer by annelebar at 9:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• my daughter was moody from birth. in the winter when she did not get enough sunlight we used a grow light to help. Chemical imbalance is a life long disorder it doesn't just happen when a child hits a certain age
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 10:19 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• While chemical imbalances are possible in any age, I think there is a trend to medicate kids more than they need to be. There are a lot of things that can be done to help depression that are not medical in nature, and I think those need to be tried before putting your toddler on anti-depressants.

I know my ODS has his 'black dog days' and while hard to see, I would hesitate before deciding that he needs to see the shrink. I just really find it tough to see as 3 yos are a ball of emotional highs and lows - they do not have the perspective of this is one small thing in a big world - to them, this is their whole world. I would have to see a lot more info on this to see this as a viable method of helping my kid who was grumpy and moody all the time.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 10:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• lili m i totally agree with you on this. i think that parents and doctors over medicate kids so that the parents and doctors have an easier time with the kids. kids in foster care are medicated a lot of the time so that the foster parents will not have to deal with them. they have done studies showing that doctors and parents alike medicate before really knowing what is wrong with a child because they dont want to have to deal with tantrums or mood swings.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• 3 years old.... Eh, I'm not really believing that!... What the heck could a 3-year old be really depressed about? Mommie wouldn't give them a cookie....COME ON.....

As a child they would have to be experiencing some hard core bad living around them to be actually "depressed" at that age...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 12:38 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I'm sorry, but I don't buy it. Tell this crap to the small children who died from being diagnosed as depressed or bi polar and loaded up on medication.
    randi1978

Answer by randi1978 at 1:19 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Wonder how much the good doctor was paid by big pharm to conduct this study?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:51 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think depression in young children is possible where there could a chemical imbalance, abuse/neglect in the home, but more so I think it is the result of the increased trend of dual income families trying to keep up with the Joneses, or single mothers without a family support system for child care, are putting children as young as 6 weeks old in full-time day care--where they do not bond with and/or are not nurtured like they would be if they had the undivided attention of at least one parent.

I am the product of being shuffled around between foster families and my own. I was considered one of the "lucky" ones, as I ended up with GREAT foster families and mentors that kept me on the straight and narrow. However, I am completely estranged from all biological family members!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:37 AM on Aug. 4, 2009