HOW MUCH SHOULD A NEWBORN EAT???? IM BREASTFEEDING BUT IN OZS HOW MANY??? IM JUST CURIOUS

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son took like 4 to 6 oz every two hours but I just let him drink til he didnt want to anymore when it was time to feed him.
    CarsBars08

Answer by CarsBars08 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• THE REASON I AM ASKING IS BECAUSE I DONT THINK IM MAKING MUCH BREASTMILK, HE HAD HIS FIRST CHECKUP SINCE BIRTH AND HE WEIGHS 10OZ LESS.. THE DR SAID ITS OKAY BUT SHE WANTS HIM BACK UP TO AT LEAST HIS BIRTHWEIGHT BY NEXT MONDAY. IF HE ISNT THEN I HAVE TO PUT HIM ON FORMULA AND I DONT WANT TO DO THAT. I THINK I MAKE ABOUT 2OZ EVERY 2 HOURS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• No you do not "have" to put him on formula. Some babies take longer to catch back up than others. Is he having at least 6 wet diapers a day? If so, he is getting enough. If you are pumping, that does not in anyway reflect your milk supply. How old is he? 2 weeks? Your supply is still getting established. Just nurse as often as possible, and pump in between. Pumping won't get as much milk out as a baby will.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 9:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• my son was born at6.8 when we left the hospital he was 6 and at his check up he was 5.14 and the doc never mention formula. DIAPER COUNT 6-8 DIAPERS INCLUDING POOP
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• A Bf baby can lose up to 10% of birthweight...so 10 oz is not bad to lose. 2 oz every 2 hours is perfect, but pumping doesn't show supply. A Bf baby needs 24-30 oz a day total no matter the age. BUT the main way to know your baby is getting enough is to count diapers. if your baby is under a week old then its one diaper per day of age, if baby is older than a week its 6-8 wet or messy diapers a day. nurse on ONE side for as long as baby will nurse before swicthing sides, no timing. Offer the breast every 2-3 hour during the daytime and every 4-5 at night, if baby doesn't act hungry before then.

Come by the breastfeeding moms group, we can help alot...my son is 27.5 months and I had bad info and stopped BFing with my older 2 kids. Before swicthing to formula theres TONS of things to do to raise supply. Bf babies take 2-4 weeks to get back to birthweight depending on how much they lost. See a Lactation consultant ASAP
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• carsbars08-Those amounts are for FF babies...and NOT newborn ones either...Bf babies should have 1-1.25 oz an hour. Newborns that are FF tend to have 2 oz bottles 24-32 oz is the norm..giving 4-6 oz bottles to newborns is overfeeding no matter what way you feed them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• they do lose weight before they gain it.but generally anywhere from 4- 6 oz
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• if this is while you're separated from baby, then it's 1 oz for every hour you are gone.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:11 AM on Aug. 4, 2009