what do they do when they check to see if ur kid is autistic?

my son wensday will be tested to see if he is and im so freaking scared and worried what if he is what do i go about doing? I will be happy that we found a reason for y my son is how he is but really i some what dont want to know. Is SO scared and lost do any of u know what will go on? or do any of u have an autistic kid? my son is almost 3 btw

Lacrisha

Asked by Lacrisha at 9:32 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When you take him to be evaluated, the doctor's should complete some type of Autism checklist, ex. CARS,GARS. These checklists are completed by interviewing the parents. You know him better than anyone. Make sure you answer the questions honestly. The doctor should also complete an observation of your son, not just for 5 miinutes in the office either! It would be preferable if the doctor saw him more than once. They will probably also complete some evaluations of your son to determine his IQ, language/speech abilities, adaptive/ social skills, motor and cognitive/thinking skills abilities. With all of this, they can get a true, complete picture of your son and not be making a diagnosis just solely based on your comments. If the doctor makes a snap decision and you do not feel that adequate time was spent, you as the parent has the right to request more information be obtained before a diagnosis is given!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:04 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I was an autistic child...I grew up that way, but it can be different in girls, so I didn't know there was a reason for what all is wrong with me until just two years ago or so. "Knowledge is power" is a cliche because it is so true. What you will do is step up, be his advocate, and learn everything you can about how to help him deal with life and cope with what can't be changed. That's something you do partially by loads of research and joining groups where you can talk to other moms in your situation, and (this is the biggie) partially by knowing your child, and figuring out what's best for him and his individual quirks and reactions. There is another saying -- "if you have met one autistic kid, you have met ONE autistic kid." This is also very true.

You'll know. He will know. That is everything, even if it is also just the beginning.

It's not a death sentence. it's just...different.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 9:53 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I liked roachiesmom's comments. I do not have a child with Autism as my own, but I have worked with many of them over the years. I help evaluate children with Autism to determine eligibility for special education services. Typically, the children I serve have already been diagnosed by a psychologist or any MD. ,
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2009