My daughter is passing hard stools! How do I help her?

Ok, this is really TMI, but I need some answers.

This afternoon, I was changing my 13 month old's diaper. It was wet. As I was wiping her bottom, she started grunting really loud. I could see that she was trying to pass some stool, so I just waited for her to finish so I could clean her up. She was passing a HUGE stool, and it looked like it was hard and dry!! It literally stretched the opening of her anus! I felt very badly for her, imagining how painful it must have been. Thankfully there was no tearing.

What can I give her to help her pass softer stools? She only drinks 18 oz of milk per day, and maybe an additional serving of dairy (a slice of cheese, 4 oz of yogurt, etc), so I don't think it's the dairy that is "binding her up". She also drinks 12-16 oz of water, and no juice.

Should she be drinking more water? Should I add a little apple juice to her diet?

Any advice?

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• prune juice or karo syrup in some warm milk/ formula
    proleynot

Answer by proleynot at 10:30 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Juice will help however if you buy juicy juice make sure you add a little more water to it then normal because it is very strong. On a side note my daughter has major bowel trouble if she drinks any vitamin D milk.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• feed her things with fiber. It helps them stay regular.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 1:58 AM on Aug. 4, 2009