I bought my daughter a necklace that cost nearly $400 two years ago for her 13th birthday. Would it be wrong of me to make it mine?

She never wears it even though she asked for it. I don't even think she knows where it is (I do).I like it quite a bit and I want it for myself. Is it ok if I permanently borrow it?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 9:59 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Benjamink, I guess you can see that we all have our own opinion, I still think you should borrow it and give it back to her when she wants it.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 10:24 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• of course its not okay....u dont take gifts back from anyone...regardless of whether or not they are ur child
    fay101

Answer by fay101 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• How about you ask her first? It was a gift. Don't just take it because she doesn't wear it often, that is rude.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Just borrow it until she asks for it back
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 10:03 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Just borrow it, but not permanently, when she gets a little older she may realize the sentimental value and want it back. You should give it back when she wants it.
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I understand how you feel. You spent all that money on it and now she does not even wear it or care were it's at. Icwould take it and put it up. And ask here were it is at. If she says I dont know. Then tell her your taking it back and wearing it yourself .

Answer by louise2 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Ask her to borrow it but don't just take it. Wear it until she asks for it back but yes it is wrong for you to take back the gift you gave her.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 10:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• But it's going to waste sitting in a box in my closet! It's a shame....
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 10:05 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I say yes, you are the mother. I don't ask my kids for anything, I'm in charge; and so are you. You bought it for her and she doesn't wear it, it is yours. Until she can appreciate it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• What would you do if she borrowed some of your jewelry without asking? Please do yourself a favor and ask her. This could set the tone of your relationship for decades to come. She is old enough for you to start treating her like a young adult. You have to give them the same respect you expect as a parent.
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 10:07 PM on Aug. 3, 2009