What do you do if you're a non-spanker and your mil or fil hits your child for being naughty?

Let's say they are babysitting for you, and when you pick your child up, they tell you that they spanked your child...what would you do? I'm talking about a baby or toddler.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had this same issue with my FIL he spanked our oldest chilld once when he was 22 months old and our son was so traumatized. Luckily my husband and I were coming back in from feeding animals and caught him before he could hit our son again. I mean I was in this mans face and he is a good 6 ft 4 inches and I am 5'5. Pushing him backward against a wall screaming "HIT ME, YA JERK!!! I will f***king lay you OUT" Yea needless to say my DH had to pull me away from him. My DH was shocked that I immediatelly went after his step Dad. His step father had been abusive towards my DH and his siblings while his Mom did nothing. We went to just to feed the darn chickens and horses, we had no earthy that he would stoop to hitting a toddler like he did. To anyone who wants to know what it was over. It was because HE wanted our oldest to go to bed and I ALWAYS read to them and sang to them and my FIL wanted him to go right then.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:37 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I would inform them NOT tospank your child, tell them there are others forms of punishment they can do, if they cant do as you wish,they will not be left alone with YOUR children. Then you must find someone else that shares your views.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:09 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I would ask them why they did it, when I told them not to. Because if it was me I would have made it clear, there is no spanking. Then I would tell them they will never be left along with my children again.

Answer by louise2 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't allow them to babysit anymore if they did it after being told not to. They need to respect your forms of punishment. I'd be totally pissed if my MIL laid a hand on one of my kids.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:14 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• They lose the privelege of being alone with my child

Answer by rkoloms at 10:15 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• thats actually been a concern of mine. I've witnesssed mil spank one of her grandson's before and though he cried more out of embarassment, I thought to myself if I ever heard about or witnessed her doing that to my son I would get up and leave. I would make sure she knows she will not touch him ever again. I rarely see her anyways, so it wouldnt be a loss if we didnt stay in contact for a while.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i believe whatever form of disipline you choose fit is fine. meaning im not totally against spanking. however if my MIL or FIL spanked my child i would be irate.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I don't allow my parents to babysit becausae my dad doesn't respect my rules. If they can't respect your rules then you need to find someone else to babysit. It is your kid and what you say should go.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 10:43 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Nobody is to hit my child. I am not saying that spanking is evil or anything but nobody has the right to spank my child but me. I think if somebody else is watching my children and they have done something to be spanked for then I should be called FIRST.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 10:45 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Learn from your elders.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2009