How do you stop your toddler from screeching?

One of my twin boys makes a high-pitched screech that can drive you crazy. Any ideas to share on how to start taming the act? We've tried no, stop, brief time-outs, but he still will start back up again at some point in the day. It tends to set my other child off as well--oh my!!!!

ckane68

Asked by ckane68 at 10:11 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'D PULL HIM ASIDE AND TELL HIM TO COUNT FROM TEN TO ONE WITH MOMMY AND YALL COUNT TOGETHER....CAN'T REALLY YELL WHILE YOUR TALKING ...I CALL IT THE CALM DOWN COUNT DOWN LOL
    ELIZABETHSMO902

Answer by ELIZABETHSMO902 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• One good spankin'.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:54 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• pop his little mouth (lightly) and make a CHT sound ( like people do to get thier cats to stop what thier doing). Sounds stupid but after awhile of doing this, when he's in another room and starts up...all you'll have to do is make that sound and he'll stop without even having to see your face
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 1:38 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Ugh -- I wish I knew. My 14 month old and my roommate's 18 month old both do it!!
    oh__you

Answer by oh__you at 2:41 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Pop him in the mouth every time he starts or pop his bottom... thats what mine used to do so I started popping him in the mouth and he stopped!
    ms_jackson

Answer by ms_jackson at 5:49 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I have been dealing with this for sometime as well. My 3 yr old is a screecher, screamer, squealer...whatever you want to call it. Its loud ear piercing screeching and it drives me nuts. He is the youngest of 4 so he gets bullied by his older siblings. Thats the pecking order and because he has minor speech delays, he doesnt want to take the time, or cant, to stop and say...momma, __ took my toy or he hit me or whatever..So he goes into full blown SCREAM to get my attention, then I look and ask what happened and he tries to convey it. I have tried simply scolding him, I have spanked his butt, I have popped his mouth. Ive done it all and nothing works. I know its a phase, but its almost to the point where it pushes me over the edge because its SO loud. Usually, the hardest time is in the car. I cant turn around and discipline him. I cant stop everytime he screams. I put one child in each corner of an suv to keep them away.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:15 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• So I just generally feel like as he begins to speak better, it will be easier for him to communicate and the screaming will stop. God, I hope it does because I cant take it for too much longer. Ive often told the other kids that the one who makes him scream will be the one punished. Usually its them just aggravating him on purpose. They seem to think his screaming is funny. I mean, its LOUD and he will do it anywhere at anytime. He has no volume control and it can also be embarassing to me. It attracts so much attention. I think people wonder how a child that young can scream so loud...LOL I feel your pain for sure. Just know that it will pass.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:17 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My 2 year old little guy does this too! And I never thought I'd get my hearing back after yesterday! He did it all day it seemed like! But the only thing that I've found that makes him stop is to pick him up and look at him straight in the eye and start whispering really quietly about something he likes: Will LOVES moo cows! So, I pick him up and start whispering "I love moo cows--do you love moo cows? Let's look out the window and see one." Of course we've never seen a cow walking down our street, but.......It works. He will stop screeching so he can hear me. That way I don't end up beating him! LOL!! Screeching in the car? HMMMMM. Thank goodness for our dvd player and tv in there!!!
    crapppppy

Answer by crapppppy at 7:25 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• You know, for every child, something different will work, but for my daughter, this did. Her screech is so high decimal its a wonder I can hear any more. One day of tantrums I was at my wits end, I fell down beside her and began mimicking her, screeching just as loud. She stopped, and I stopped and said, "See thats what you look like when you throw a tantrum, thats not the way we behave, now can you please use your words?" She began to try to tell me what was wrong, and I gave her a hug after and suprisingly she doesnt do it anymore. I mean toddlers do have poor memories bt still, I have only had to do it one other time to remind her and it was way less long. (jst a second or two of the same noise). Sometimes it helps to see how ridiculous and obnoxious they look and sound. (and on another note, it is a great stress reliever for mom lol).
    NightOwlMama

Answer by NightOwlMama at 7:37 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• yeah....hit your kid in the MOUTH to make him quit screaming. fantastic idea. *eye roll*

id take away whatever toy he is playing with at the time until he can be quiet. my 2.5 year old does this and it makes me NUTS.
    Mama2Joshy

Answer by Mama2Joshy at 8:02 AM on Aug. 4, 2009