am i being unreasonable?

I'm 20 and live with my boyfriend. For the past 5 years i have worked at my family's buisness where my step mom,who i do not get along with, was my boss. this year, she decided to hire someone in my place. shortly after, in april, i crashed my car, and not having a job, i am not able to pay for it to be fixed. A friend of my fathers offered to fix it for free but my dad wont let him. ive tried for months to get a job but i just cant find one that i could get transportation to. there is no public transportation where i live and everythings too far to walk to. now im pregnant (not good timing, i know, please dont judge it was a mistake) and i expect things to just be handed to but but seriously, the guy offered to fix my car for FREE! im completely stuck and im getting really depressed and i dont know what to do. Any advice from mothers with kids my age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Well, I know that nobody does anything for free, what is it in it for the guy who wants to fix your car?

Also, you are an adult, if it is your car and if it is under your name and if you pay for it, then you can make the decision of what to do with it. Best luck.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• If the car is yours, meaning the car is under your name . you can have anybody you want fix the car. but make sure you know what your getting yourself into first.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 10:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• i know i can have the car fixed.. but they took away my job, which is honestly not my fault. i have no way to pay for it. My dads friend will do it for free but i have no idea who this guy is so i cant even ask him myself
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Well in that case, you need to get any job you can so you can put money aside to fix your car with a mechanic. It sounds to me as if your family is trying to control you with money and mind games. A friend of your father who you don't know and he doesn't know you will fix your car out of the goodness of his heart? I don't buy it. They took your job away? Find another, hon you are an adult who is about to have a baby, step it up a notch and do things by yourself how about that boyfriend of yours pitch in a little bit? That is his child too. I am assuming a lot here but many mothers have done before you so you can do it too. And stop playing the victim role, you are 20, own your life and figure a way out, don't curl up and cry your baby will need you to be strong and a baby is never a mistake babies are a blessing.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 8:21 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• There had to be some reason your dad and step mom have suddenly pushed you aside. What did you do? Who do you live with? Who's name is the car titled in? If you don't know the guy who will fix it for free how did you even find out you get it fixed for free? Where is the father of this baby. There are no mistakes when you have sex- babies are the result. It's hard enough to find work not pregnant. Have you checked into state help yet? Who is carting you around when you leave your house?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• See if he'll fix it for you anyways, then pay him back after you are able to get a job. Obviously you need the money so need the job while you can.

PS Congrats on the baby. It's overwhelming now, but it'll get better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• You're 20, you don't need your dad's permission to get the friend to fix the car. Speak to him yourself about it. Good luck with the baby.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 1:03 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Your dad sounds like a real ass hat. Have his friend fix your car so you can get a job. No, your not being unreasonable
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 6:55 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Just a thought, you stated that you live with your boyfriend so why is it that he can not pay to get his baby mama/s car fixed?
    The problem I see is that 20 yr/olds want to play house but want there parents to pay the consequence.
    Are you being unreasonable? I think you know the answer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Aug. 7, 2009

• I agree with anon 10:06...you're living a life like a grown adult (which by the way you are) why is it your father and step-mother's responsibility to make sure your car gets fixed? Grow up and handle your business and by the way, what are you doing with a man that cannot help you in a situation like this? Pregnant by accident? Oh yeah! I forgot birth control was banned, right!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:37 PM on Aug. 7, 2009