Weight Gain During Pregnancy

Hello. I am 5'9'' and weighed 138 before I was pregnant. I was actually 130 a month before (for our wedding, but I was so light bc of wedding stress) and actually tried to put on a few pounds after the wedding bc I did not feel great. I am an athlete, former pro golfer, and have been working out a lot during my pregnancy, almost every day I do some form of cardio and or yoga. I have ate healthy during the 2nd trimester. I only gained 3/4 lbs during first trimester. I am actually not eating much different than before I fell pregnant. Ocassionaly I will have 2 bowls of cereal in the AM- but that is to the extent. I still have 1 cheat day where I allow myself to eat whatever I feel. I believe I have gained about 17 lbs and I am only 23 weeks pregnant. I am starting to freak out about it. Is this OK or should I cut back even further on what I am eating daily?

tinalloyd

Asked by tinalloyd at 10:16 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• NO NO NO, you are doing just fine!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• wow i think you should eat a little more and stope wiggin out, your going to be a mom who cares how much weight u gain it will go away after your all done bein prego lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Maybe I should throw away our scale. I actually feel great and everyone says I look great for how far along I am. Maybe this is just a big baby...I am 5'9'' and my husband is 6'2''.... I just do not want to have health issues from the rapid weight gain. I know I can lose the weight after the baby is born- I am just concerned I might give myself health issues to deal with in the future. I mean I have gained this weight SO quick! All these websites and books says I should have only gained 10-12 lbs by now, Im like oh great!
    tinalloyd

Answer by tinalloyd at 10:22 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Well at your height (same as mine) and prev. weight, you should gain 30-40lbs. However I dont think you or anyone should really freak out about gaining too much weight. Not saying go crazy and get huge, lol, but relax and eat when you need to eat and stay active. If you continue to stay active and eat healthy after baby than you should lose it pretty quick!
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 10:25 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I'm 5'4" and was roughly 100 pounds when I got pregnant... I'm already up to 128 pounds. I've already gained 28 pounds, and am 19 weeks. I only gained 32 with my first pregnancy... I'd think you're o.k... Talk to your doctor
    momma_marian

Answer by momma_marian at 10:27 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Thanks for all these answers. I guess it is common sense and I have been using common sense everyday with it, saying if I continue to stay active (30-45 mins of cardio and yoga) and eat healthy, the weight I gain must be OK. I will ask my doctor but I am not going to weigh myself anymore at home, it just makes it more of a worry! Thanks again.
    tinalloyd

Answer by tinalloyd at 10:39 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I would only worry about weight if you weren't gaining. . . If you are eating healthy 3 meals & 2 snacks and feel full without feeling like the turkey at Thanksgiving then you are doing fine. You have to remember most of the weight isn't really you but the baby and all the changes to support the pregnancy.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:54 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I gained 70 lbs with my 1st pregnancy (kind of extreme, not the most healthy). I was able to lose all the weight- its easy once your kid starts walking. Just listen to your dr. and eat when you are hungry. Now is NOT the time to worry about a few extra pounds- especially if you were so thin to begin with.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:33 PM on Aug. 3, 2009