3 year old daughter

My 3 year old daughter is a chicken. It doesnt matter what the sound is whether it be thunder, a loud truck, a firecracker, anything, she will go ballistic. I dont know what to do. She shares a room with her 17 month old sister and it's thundering out right now. Luckily, my youngest will sleep through anything but I'm tired of having to try to calm down my oldest. Any ideas on how to break her of it?

agrafel

Asked by agrafel at 10:46 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• :( I'm sorry to hear that. My DD is 18 mo old and she hates the sound of thunder and planes (we live on a military base that has an airfield so there are ALWAYS planes). My DS is 2 1/2 and wakes up to cars honking in the middle of the night or revving. I don't know that there is anything other than trying to explain what it is and calming her down. That's what I try to do with my DS since he is old enough to comprehend some things. With thundering, you may be able to use this, or at least if you believe in angels: My mom told me it was the angels bowling and after that I wasn't so scared. Good luck to you!
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 11:02 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I agree with the previous poster. Explain to her what is making the noise so that it will be less scary. It doesn't have to be accurate, something like angels bowling will work or make something up silly. It won't hurt since children have great imaginations at this age and she'll most likely get excited about it if it isn't scary. :) Good luck!
    ashers_mommy_

Answer by ashers_mommy_ at 1:22 AM on Aug. 4, 2009