Moms need to educate themselves...

Is it just me or are there a lot of moms on here, out there in general who don't care enough about being a mother to educate themselves on their babies and child care in general?
I'm not perfect and I never said I was, believe me I have made some mistakes, but I always educated myself about becoming a mother, taking care of my baby..etc etc and it seemed like instinct for me to do that. But I constantly see moms who are clearly so misinformed about things they should really not be misinformed about....why aren't moms educating themselves? Do they just not care? I don't understand this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• hey, i know what you mean...some of the questions women ask on here are kinda dumb. for example..."why isn't my baby walking? he's 6 months old." or "when can i give my baby cow's milk?" seriously, why don't these women read a book or two?
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 11:55 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• This question seems very vague and out of place. To assume that you understand a woman's situation and how she is raising and treating her children is dangerous and unfair. Just because you don't agree with what someone is doing, doesn't necessarily mean that they dont' care about their kids.

On the flip side, there are many women who don't step up to the plate when they become mothers... lack of education or caring- I cannot realate to them and feel sad for their kids sometimes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• hmmmmm im gonna need an example
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 11:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• Who peed in your cheerios!?

love you sign

It will be ok! mind  your own buisness!

Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 11:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I'd have to say I agree that some women aren't as informed as I was....but I did A LOT of research and talked a lot, lol. I'm very interested in pregnancy and birth...so much so that I'm actually thinking about becoming a Doula.
    Some are misinformed and some don't think they need to research anything. I agree though that I have seen some uninformed mothers that don't seem to know much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• First of all nobody peed in my cheerios, but thank you for asking. That was just the kind of mature and sophisticated answer I was seeking.
    Secondly, I never "dangerously" criticized anybody. I don't understand why some women don't care enough about themselves and their children to educate themselves on basic topics, like "My water just broke...what should I do?" for example.
    Lastly, I said I wasn't perfect and I am not. But I do care enough about my child to not indulge in unwise habits. To not make it a priority to know how to take care of one's self and child is pretty low-class. I'm absolutely disgusted with some of the mothers that answer these forums. I'm glad I have actually found some intelligent ones, and I feel bad for the mothers who don't care about their kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• You say it's your instinct to educate yourself about how to care for your kids. But isn't caring for kids a natural instinct? When my kids fall down, I tell them to suck it up and that they'll live. My mom tells me that my kids need to know that I love them and I shouldn't be so uncaring. But if my kids are really hurt, I take them in my arms and I go sit with them and kiss thier heads until they feel better...but if it's just a scratch then they need to suck it up. In MY mind that is the right way to do it, because most of the time when my kids fall, they jump up and say thier okey and go about doing what thier doing...unlike some kids that cry over everything because they are way to babied. Everybody has thier own way of doing things. Some people just like to ask things because they want to see if what they think or do is right. I have the instinct to care from my kids naturaly, if you need books to do so don't judge
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 12:07 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I think the important thing to remember is that not everyone on here is a "real" mother. There are "children" coming on this site and stirring up shit. If you don't like a question, or think its common sense then simply move on from it and try to help others. Sadly not everyone is smart or educated or of age to honestly understand how serious being pregnant or a mother is. You shouldn't be so concerned or angry that others are just not as smart as you are. I agree with you on certain things. Its simple enough to call your Dr and ask something as obvious as "my contractions are 3 mins apart am I supposed to go to the hospital" I really don't think women with contractions at 3 mins are going to be sane or calm enough to get on cafemom and ask a question like that and then wait for the repsonse to call your Dr or go to the hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I completely agree with you! There has to be a balance between educating yourself through research and following your instincts and I would say at least 50% of mothers these days do not do either!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 12:16 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It is instinct to me to care for my child and to use some common sense! This is exactly what I am talking about. I am so glad I posted this, because the highly educated answers I got only beautifully illustrated my point. There, that wasn't hard at all!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Aug. 4, 2009