Suddenly after so many years I have become allergic to shrimp and clams for sure, when I wasn't before, does this mean I can't eat fish either?

I always was able to eat shrimp, clam chowder, crab, though it was never that often that I would eat it, then last year I had an allergic reaction to them. But I like to eat fish too and am scared to eat any seafood at all, if u are allergic to shrimp, clams, and crab are you allergic to all seafood? I have been wanting to eat fish but am scared I'll have an allergic reaction.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• That happened to me too! Except if the shellfish is cooked I can eat it. I can eat fish just fine.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 11:34 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• My husband has fish allergies. It started as shrimp (that was the only one he usually ate) when he was in high school. He was able to eat salmon when we started dating and then about three or four years later salmon started bothering him. So far, it seems as though freshwater fish is okay. He won't eat a whole serving of it, though. He'll have a few bites to see if it bothers him but won't eat the whole thing.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:35 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I became suddenly alergic to shell fish when I was about 16. According to a blood test I'm not allergic to fish just shell fish. Even though I'm not alergic to fish I never eat it because I'm afraid of cross contamination. Food allergies suck!
    threeyobs

Answer by threeyobs at 11:36 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• OP here- and if we go out to eat what does everyone order? seafood , now I tell everyone to not order seafood (joking around), my husband will order a plate of it and he always offers me some shrimp and laughs and then I tell him he'll pay for it later when i sleep with my iron underwear lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Aug. 3, 2009

• I can't eat shellfish - no shrimp, no lobster, no crab. I can eat mussels - oysters, clams, etc. I developed a severe allergy when I was about 13. I've never had a problem with fish. I don't eat anything that has even had shellfish touch it as my alllergy is very sensitive. I also never eat sushi because I'm paranoid that it will have crab or shrimp hidden in it. But fish is fine, so I eat trout, salmon, sea bass, mahi mahi, pretty much any fish. However, I don't eat fish at places like Long John Silver because they fry it in the same oil they cook the shrimp in, and that's enough to send me to the hospital.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:43 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• No, a lot of people, like my Mom are only allergic to shell fish. I hope that is the case for you. Sounds like you like seafood like me. Would be a shame to have to give it all up. Giving up crab and shrimp is bad enough. :-(
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:58 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• You may have developed an iodine allergy. This is not something to mess around with. Please see a doctor...

Answer by rkoloms at 7:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2009