More about tipping

With all the post going on tonight about tipping I had to add to them. lol But what I never understood is that people who work in nice restaurants barely make $3/h depending upon the place but some people act as if you work at a fast food joint that you are beneath them. I worked in fast food for several years and never once had to complain about not getting the money I felt that I earned. Not saying that one is better than the other but at least fast food the money is guaranteed. Although you get treated as if you are the bottom of the barrel at least you know on pay day the money is going to be there. Just my thoughts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• just to let you know, the reason servers only make $2.15 an hour, is b/c those tips they get are taxed, so usually you don't get a paycheck b/c they take the taxes out of that, or you end up owing money. and let me also add, people who work in fast food don't have to have people skills, they can be total and complete jerks and still get that paycheck. servers, have to suck up to every single person every day in order to make their money. and if a cook messes up the food it gets taken out on a server in their tips. so yes it is a little harder to serve than it is to work fast food. not that that makes servers any better than someone working fast food, but that is why some of them feel that way
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:00 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Humm, I didn't see the other posts about tipping, but your comments about working in fast food strike a chord with me.

My first real job was at Micky D's. I was a nice kid who never was snotty, so it was a shock to find "ADULTS" who WERE~

I always treat people who serve me with respect. They have a HARD job.

As for tipping, I leave 20% for good service and 15% for average.

Only once did I leave a nickel. BELIEVE ME, THAT SERVICE WAS REALLY BAD!!!!

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:01 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I never worked as a server, but my sister did, and I am careful about tipping generously after listening to her stories. As for fast food people, I treat them as I treat everyone, as human beings doing their job. :)

Answer by Bmat at 8:06 AM on Aug. 4, 2009