tooth pulled?

i have to get a tooth pulled tomorrow or wens. and i'm terrified, what can i expect during, after etc? i've never had one pulled before and i hate going to the dentist, it scares the crap out of me. i'd rather have 30 more c-sections and cramps every day of my life than go to the dentist. so any tips, etc for this would be great. thanks ladies

vabchmommy

Asked by vabchmommy at 11:57 PM on Aug. 3, 2009 in Health

• I just went a week ago to the dentist-thinking i was having to get 2 teeth pulled...but when I got there and he took x-rays and examed me he found 4 that "needed to come out" so needless to say he ended up yanking all 4!! The shots in the gums weren't too bad-i only flinched on one when it felt like he shoved the needle in further than the other times...anyways as far as the pulling itself went i mainly just felt the pressure of him pulling-it wasnt real bad...and every once in awhile i would hear the like breaking/chipping sound of the teeth.the numbness didnt wear of for a few hours afterwards-so if you get painkillers take one as soon as ya get them so it has time to start kicking in before the numbness goes away! i was sore the first day but it got better within the 2nd or 3rd day after the pain was at a minimum.Now i just have to go back on the 10th to get stitches out-fun fun. GOOD LUCK!!! its not as bad as ya think!!
    dakotasmommy06

Answer by dakotasmommy06 at 11:59 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Well YEARS ago when I had my teeth pulled... I listened to the Lion King soundtrack on cassette...they gave me a shot of novacaine in my gums and pulled it. I felt the tug, mostly felt like when you pull a loose tooth out. And then my lip and side of my face nearest the novacaine felt numb and swollen for an hour or two. After that it was no different than having lost a loose tooth :)
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 12:09 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• So basically it's not all that bad :D Don't stress too much. I was around 7 when I had teeth pulled.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 12:10 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I had to have all of my top teeth pulled and most of my bottom teeth. I am 28 years old and I was 6 months pregnant at the time. You will make it. They numbed me up and went to work. I cried like a baby but mostly b/c I was losing all my teeth. No I am not a dope head or anything and I did brush and floss.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 12:13 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I'm with you on that. I had to have a molar pulled a year or so ago because the navy botched up a root canal and it abscessed so I told the dentist to pull it instead of his other treatment options that had a 10% chance of working..Anyway, I am such a big wuss that I paid the extra $150 to be put to sleep so it was an ok experience. It's going to hurt though. I won't lie. Take your anti inflammatory meds and painkillers if prescribed. Don't do anything to mess with the clot that forms afterwards and enjoy liquids for a week or so. We became very creative at the blender. If you are awake, you will be numbed like you are getting a tooth filled. Good luck but don't stress...And yes, it will feel weird putting your tongue where your tooth used to be.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:18 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I take a Xanax before I go to the dentist for any reason. I HATE going to the dentist.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2009