Why are some parents against giving their ADHD kids meds for it?

I have noticed there are alot of parents that say I would never give my child meds for ADD/ADHD but yet they say they can't control their kids. Why is this? Does this make sense to anyone?

ronjwake

Asked by ronjwake at 12:00 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• my brothers have it and my mom wont give them it it makes me feel like she dont care
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 12:04 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i know a kid that said he lost all his creativity and his personality when he got on the meds....thats why parents dont liek doing it. it changes way too much of who they are. i agree
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• it's not good to take medication for most mental disorders, there are natural ways of curing them. changing their diet and herbal supplements are the way to go. now if it's something very serious, that's different. i have depression and panic disorder and i take lemon balm capsules, zoloft and prozac made my disorder worse, it was awful. doctors are too quick to pass out medication, because thats what they are taught to make the drug company more money.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:06 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Being a mother of a child with ADHD I can tell you first hand that meds don't make the child controllable and they are not a cure-all for ADHD/ADD. In reality sometimes they add to the problem. I am a mother who medicates, but have seen the good and bad side of both. Good luck with this question, I imagine it will get heated.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My son acted very jittery on meds, and they are not even sure whats wrong with him, if anything, yet. The one drug he was taking, Risperal is now being investigated by the FDA, because it causes heart problems and panic disorders. I'm glad I took him off and refused it. Some of these meds have side effects worse than the symptoms. I'm not turning my kid into a zombie just so I can have peace and quiet, I cant believe anyone would.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:09 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My son does take vyvnase for ADHD. We have had great luck with this medication. His lowest grade in school since taking it was a 90% and his behavior has turned around greatly. I can't imagine not giving him the medication for it. It has not changed him but helped him do better in school and with his behavior.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:10 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• wow so maybe my mom was just looking out for her kids but they need something if they dont slow down a little im done baby sitting
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 12:11 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Have you ladies taken your children to regualar family doctors or did you go to a specialist? I think this makes a giant difference in the success of the medication.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 12:12 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I've been to two specialists, and a medical doctor
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:19 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i really think it depends on the kid and the parents dedication to possibly trying natural remedies for it like diet changes and yoga. some kids just dont respond well to medication or some parents are uncomfortable with the changes they see in their child once they are on medication. i think this is a very personal choice for any parent and i would hope that whatever decision they made is for the best of the child.
    trelimon

Answer by trelimon at 12:20 AM on Aug. 4, 2009