Law School?

My husband is looking at attending law school in a couple of years. He is working on his bachelor's right now. I want to be supportive, but it is hard because I just don't know how it would work for our family. We have 2 girls, 2.5 and 10 months. I am just nervous about everything involved, including changing locations. If you or your hubby attended a law school, what was it like in terms of academics, time committment, and costs? What was your experience like?

squish

Asked by squish at 12:17 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Money & Work

• Your husband should choose a school that offers a night program so that he has more flexibility in terms of time. Not many schools offer night programs, and they are usually private (=$$$$). What I found was that it wasn't hard intellectually-- it just took a really really long time! I went to a private school which cost about $28K in tuition alone. The school now costs $35K in tuition. They do offer good financial aid packages that will cover tuition and living expenses, taking into account your family situation.

My father went to law school when I was 9 years old (he was 40). My mother worked full time as a teacher. He went to night school, doing his homework while we went to school. It worked.

Is it all worth it? Most starting attorneys DO NOT make a ton of money. I started off as a prosecutor and actually made less money than I did as a waitress in college! Now, 5 years later, it's a different story.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:47 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Thanks for your answer! I appriciate you sharing your perspective. My hubby already has a good job right now, he is just looking to add to it. The costs are daunting though!
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:14 AM on Aug. 8, 2009