stitches after labour?

i was just wondering why is it that some ppl tear during labour while others don't. my mum got no tearing in all of her 6 pregnancies......then there's my uncles wife who has gotten stitches during each of her to labours.....

and is there any way to prevent this type of tearing from occuring?

fay101

Asked by fay101 at 12:22 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I've heard that if you give the area time to stretch and deliver as slowly as possible, you don't tear. My children, were not into the waiting part and I had stitches both times. It's not bad and they heal quickly.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:29 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I agree with khedy... sometimes the doctor tells you not to push or to take it slowly... though sometimes its impossible (lol)
    Avy1930

Answer by Avy1930 at 12:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My OB told me that if you do you do and if you don't you don't. It something that just happens and it isn't something your going to feel if you get the drugs lol. It isn't bad though and they do heal very quickly. Don't worry over it. You will be fine.
    navy_mommy1104

Answer by navy_mommy1104 at 12:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I tore just a little bit. M friend's sister has two kids and tore with the first but not with the second. It just depends on the baby I guess. My OB also said there was nothing to prevent it. They stitches did heal pretty quickly, but it was painful and I did use my pain medicine they sent me home with. Just take things slow after labor and you will be fine.
    NOLAmommaKRYS

Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 12:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I also agree with "khedy". Both of my kids came out fast and I tore both times. The only things I have heard of that are supposed to help are: Kegels exercises, Periniel massage and lots of squating. Sorry about the spelling. Good Luck!!
    Noble_One

Answer by Noble_One at 1:00 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i think its just a luck of the draw basiclly me and my step sister both had our kids around the same time (mine on april 30th her's on may 1st) and mine was almost 2 lbs bigger then her's i had i think 3 stiches (he was big but not huge) her daughter was smaller (leg weight and head size) and stepsister ended up tearing and getting 6 stitches and staying over night cause she bleed alot. so it seems to me (specially after this) that up to the luck of the draw (also helps my family very lightly tears we are baby machines and her family isn't there were always issues somewhere)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• most tearing is due to coached pushing. they want the baby out as fast as possible. if you're not going to have an epi, push when you feel like you need to. if you have an epi, then you won't feel when you need to push or where you need to push, so usually that's when you tear and it usually takes longer than usually to push the baby out.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:06 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I didn't tear because my OBGYN cut me before I tore. I had an epidural and don't regret it one bit. I still felt when I needed to push, even though I had an epidural. I was afraid it would hurt like hell when I needed to pee, but it didn't. Not once did I feel any pain from the episiotomy. My daughter weighed 9 lbs 2 oz when she was born.
    MOM2JEM

Answer by MOM2JEM at 1:05 PM on Aug. 4, 2009