I have been breast feeding my baby since he was born, He wont take formula. My problem is he breast feeds all day long what can I do so he can take more naps, he only sleeps for like 20-30 minutes at a time. The time he sleeps the most is when hes sleeping next to me at night

Can someone please help. I am soooo drained and always tired and I cant get anything done or do anything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried swaddling him while he sleeps? The first couple of weeks, that's the only way my daughter would sleep for very long, if she was on my chest, in my arms, laying right next to me, or swaddled really tight. Then she would sleep for HOURS at a time! How old is he? Is he a newborn?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:26 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Ohh, also, when she was 2 days old, someone gave me a SleepyTime wrap. When she was in that thing, NOTHING woke her up. I purposely made loud noise just to see how deep she was sleeping, LOL and she slept through it all! I HIGHLY recommend it! And it's easy to breastfeed in.

http://www.sleepywrap.com/
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:28 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• one more thing I forgot to add hes 4 months old I am so brainless.
    nessy1980

Answer by nessy1980 at 12:30 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• You could also try one of those bears that make the womb sounds. You can get them at Target. Might help simulate that mom closeness.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 12:31 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• He's being normal for a four month old. He'll get the sleep he needs; don't worry about napes. Some never take any at all!

Answer by gdiamante at 12:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• According to what I read, this sounds normal. You should be much much more concerned if your baby was sleeping too much and not eating enough. I think you kind of have to expect to be exhausted, but I commend you for not giiving up on breastfeeding b/c this is getting so hard and you're so tired and I know it's frustrating not to get anything done! hang in there!
    vintagesnow

Answer by vintagesnow at 12:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I quit breastfeeding because of the same problem. I was not properly informed about breastfeeding. I found out after I stopped breastfeeding that he was just going through a growth spurt. Problem was I had gotten the depo shot. Which from my knowledge is unsafe to breastfeed once you get it. If you are honestly wanting to switch to formula. What I did was pumped and did half breast milk and half formula. That's the only way he would drink formula for a week or so. Good luck. If you can make it through this, try to keep breastfeeding. I regret that I stopped breastfeeding I missed it so much after I stopped.
    Mommy2Be172009

Answer by Mommy2Be172009 at 1:05 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Try not letting your baby sleep next to you! He is old enough to have a little seperation. Also, have you started using a pacifier? Now that b/f is well established I would try that. it sounds like you are his pacifier right now!
    RyaMamaRN

Answer by RyaMamaRN at 4:48 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Ok if he's 4 months old and constantly feeding, it may be time to start cereal. Have you started that yet? Breastmilk isn't very filling, so they eat more often. pedi's recommend rice cereal sooner for EBF moms than for FF moms.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:29 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• try getting a sling. that way he can eat all he wants while you get stuff done. he's probably just going through a growth spurt. you only need to start solids if he's past 6mo. eating for a bfed baby is just for fun and learning. they don't need solids until 1 yo. not all babies take naps. when he does nap, go ahead and lay down too. you need rest too. this will pass.
    how old is your baby?
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:08 AM on Aug. 4, 2009