I feel awful!

I was loading my 3 kids in the car on the way to the water park. Well after the wheelchair, stroller, cooler with lunches and beach bag in the 90+ degree weather the kids were frustrated and getting warm even with the AC on, fighting back and forth and wanting the water that I packed in the beach bag. I got out the water bottles and gave them some. Started to back out of the garage and my Son yells stop I have to go potty. I drive back in the garage to take him inside. As I get back in I say "gosh you guys are killin me today"! We get to the water park to meet my Sis and her Daughter and my Son tells her the minute we sat down "my Mom said we're killing her", " is she going to die?". I was more than mortified and had to explain that I should not have said it that way but that I meant I was overwhelmed and it was an expression. Have you ever said something you shouldn't have. I feel awful.

mommymine3

Asked by mommymine3 at 12:31 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well first I'm sorry you had a frustrating start to your day, I hope the rest was great. If you asked every mom on here and they were honest I am sure we have all done the same kind of thing. I have really strict rules about what my kids are allowed to say, unfortunately I'm not always the best example. One of my 11 year olds, who have learning disabilities and tend to speak without thinking got into trouble at school for telling her friend to " hurry up stupid I don't have all day." OOPs. I had to tell the teacher about that one. Then we had a talk with all the kids about adults doing stuff wrong, and thinking before we speak.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:16 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Haha awh. Sorry about the laugh but I just think its funny how kids repeat everything that they hear. Please don't feel bad. My mom used to pretend like she was dead when I was little. Haha we would be talking to her or playing with her or something and she was just close her eyes and drop her mouth open like she died. We always knew she was kidding but we would pull her eyelids open just to make sure.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• First off, your Sis understands, so you don't need to feel embarrassed.

As for something I said that makes me cringe...

About six months ago, I had my hubby and son with me on a day that I really should have spent alone. (you know what I mean)
    Anyway, in the drive thru line at Burger King, my son was really throwing a fit and suddenly in the middle of it, "......(MY SON'S NAME HERE)..."SHUT UP!!!"

I felt absolutely like the most horrible mom on the planet. It was really embarrassing to me since my hubby saw me lose control. :(

But, I have since forgiven myself. Now I recognize when I need to say, "No, I need today to myself." LOL

timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:45 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Yeah, it's happened before.

I told someone to "shut the fuck up" once and my daughter copied me word for word, clear as day. I've tried to curb my enthusiam since then :)
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 12:49 AM on Aug. 4, 2009