When am I supposed to pump ? before she eats??? after ???

I want to have enough milk saved where I can go out to eat on friday , but I don't really understand when I'm supposed to pump. I've tried and everytime she usually wakes up and wants to eat. Do I have enough milk to pump and then feed her ? Im just so confused...sorry if this makes no sense at all

1baby2009

Asked by 1baby2009 at 12:32 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ANY time. you will ALWAYS have enough milk. ALWAYS.

You need one ounce per hour of separation.

Best time...WHILE she's nursing tomorrow morning in the first nursing of the day. You will ALWAYS have enough. ALWAYS.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• In my breastfeeding book it says you can do it either before or after. The author of the book fed first and then pumped. Remember the more you feed/pump, the more milk your breasts will make. If you want a more detailed answer, comment back and i'll look up exactly what it says in my book. Its a really great book btw, it's called "So that's what they're for!"
    vintagesnow

Answer by vintagesnow at 12:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• After.

And to build up your supply... cont. pumping for 5 minutes AFTER you've "run dry". Do this around the clock after every feeding and if she skips or runs long between feedings.

If you need to build up a supply in your fridge or freezer for any reason, add Fenugreek, too. Available at GNC... 3 pills, 3 times a day. You'll have more milk than you know what to do with within 2 wks.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• this is random too, but ...you're supposed to drink 8-10 glasses of water and yesterday I didn't get enough water, Why is it important to drink so much ?
    1baby2009

Answer by 1baby2009 at 12:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I just went through this recenty and at the breast feeding clinic they told me that our bodies will make what our babies eat and not much more. So the more you feed the more milk you produce, If you want to save breast milk for your baby you should express after each feeding...not before! because you need to make sure your baby is getting enough first. So when your baby is done on the boob, then pump! Best to know that the baby is full before you try and store the milk and than have crabby baby on your hands. I know for a fact that your body produces what your baby eats. So just make sure you pump for 10 mins or so on each breast so that you still give yourself time to replenish your supply for the next feed. remember to conitinue to pump while away from your baby for long periods of time. Have a fun night out!
    Mrs.Canadian

Answer by Mrs.Canadian at 1:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It's important to drink so much because breastmilk is LIQUID. You have to take in liquid to make liquid. Make sense? Water is even more important than food. Although food is important.

I always pumped before Emi ate. First thing in the am. Breasts are factories, not storage facilities.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:34 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I should say that also it is extremely important to drink lots of water...helps you breast milk production...
    Mrs.Canadian

Answer by Mrs.Canadian at 1:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• fenugreek teas work better than pills. Pump after or if you are in a time pinch pump on one side and feed baby in football hold on the other.
    RyaMamaRN

Answer by RyaMamaRN at 4:47 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I had a hard time pumping, and I always had the best results nursing on one breast and pumping from the other at the same time. Then switch next time.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 4, 2009