baby food?

when did you start your baby on baby food?
also i was thinking about making my own baby food i got a baby food maker at our shower plus a cook book for it. has anyone else done this? is it a pain in the bottom or pretty easy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was about six months when I started him on rice cereal.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:58 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My son is 3 months. He has been eatting cereal from a spoon for about a month. And I just started feeding him apple sauce tonight. My brother wants to make me baby food, but i'm not to sure about it.
    Mommy2Be172009

Answer by Mommy2Be172009 at 12:59 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My baby stared single grain rice cereal at 4 months. Then at 5 months we moved to single grain oatmeal cereal. Then at 6 months we are just starting baby food. Peas is the first we are trying. The doctor also said to only introduce one new food a week from now on until he tries all the kinds. That way if they are allergic you'll know exactly what it is. Then you can mix and match.

I want to make my own, but I am starting out with the organic gerber to see how much he eats. In a few weeks I'll make my own.
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 1:07 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I believe they say baby cereal at 6 months but sometimes they start babies at 4 months. Check with you family doctor. baby jar food should be introduced one at a time 3-4 days apart so that you can watch for any allergies. Usually I think babies start on carrots, peas and such around 6 months not meats and stuff until they are around 9 months...Its been 2 years since I had to do this myself so its a good question and I will need to brush up on my baby food making skills soon, as my baby boy is 2 months and not far from eating soilds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I started baby food at six months. I use jar food and homemade. I stick bananas and cooked veggies in a hand food grinder (not together :)). I usually buy jar food for daycare and make food at home. My parents can tons and tons of veggies from their organic garden, so I just drain them and grind them. At 11 months, she still has no teeth, so this way she can still eat dinner with us.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 1:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Start no sooner than 6 months. They are much more likely to have allergies if you start before 6 months. I made all of my own baby food and I preferred the small cusiniart I had over the hand grinder because it was easier to do large batches and freeze them. One thing that helps is if you do a few different kinds in one day (ie steam carrots, then beets etc ) so you only have to dirty your pans, processor one time.
    RyaMamaRN

Answer by RyaMamaRN at 4:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It is easy to make it yourself. Yes, it takes a little time, but when you make it yourself, you know exactly what your baby is eating. I really like Annabel Karmel's books. She has done two, I think. You can find them at the library.They explain everything to you; what you need to begin, gives you nutritional information and what foods you can start at what ages. Great pictures too. I just use my stick blender, and then freeze fruits and veggies in icecubetrays. Once it's frozen, I transfer the cubes to a ziplock bag with contents and date written on it. Good Luck.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 3:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I tried dealing with baby food with my 1st 2 kiddos. WHAT a mess it was! With my other two, when they seemed to want food and could chew up little bits, I let them have their own. My youngest is 17 months now and eats whatever we are all having, but cut up for him. I hope that helps a bit.
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 10:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2009