I think my son is teething how do i know for sure?

he's drooling putting his fingers in his mouth and anything else in his mouth he can lol??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son started putting his hands in his mouth around 6 months and starting teething like 7 1/2 months, how you can tell if they are really teething is when they start getting really fussy, sometimes kids get fevers, don't sleep well, take shorter naps good luck cuz thats a crazy time for both baby and momma
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• fussiness, chewing on things, drooling alot (docs will tell you not a sign, but you may notice it more when he is teething), slight fever (same as the drooling), if you see any teeth buds (the white under the gums), sleep less throughout the day. you can use motrin for the fever and pain and teething tablets are awesome (I actually used my dd's when i was getting my wisdom teeth in and it actually helped) and can be used at any age (just found out b/c my 2 month old is already teething and wanted to make sure they were safe for him). put a teething toy in the fridge, some babies like things cooler. some like things warm, so if you can run it under hot water to warm it up if the coolness doesn't help. wash your hands, put your finger in his mouth, if he starts chewing instead of sucking he's probably teething.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:42 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Ever since my son was born he would put his fingers and hands in his mouth! He started drooling at 3 months. He's not a thumb sucker, but he loves to CHEW on them and ANYTHING he can get in his mouth. He's 6 months now and still no teeth. For months now I can see teeth in his gums, so they are coming. He doesn't like the teethers I put in the fridge. So I was my hands real good, bend my finger and let him chew on my knuckle. Sometimes that's the only thing that will help him. But Momma is the only person who gets to do that!
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 1:46 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My son has TONS more slobber..and he normally will have diahrea for a day or so and sometimes a runny nose. He will be fussier than usual when it start pushing through and the top teeth are SOOO much worse than the bottom and take longer. Alotta times when he was younger he wouldnt sleep very well too. I just switch off tylenol and motrin(after 6mo) and give him plenty of things to chew on and teething tablets. Oragel is NASTY even the baby stuff.
    howardsmom

Answer by howardsmom at 2:24 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• well before my son got his first tooth at 10 month he got congested, and would pull as his cheeks and ears (which is also the sign for ear infection) and i noticed his gum was split and you could see a clearish white bud coming up. He is now getting his 2 bottom and 1st top, but i tried teething tables(humpherys) baby oragel, anbesol, and other teething things they had for babys and nothing worked, what my son likes its chewing on chrushed ice, or freeze pops. Drool and putting things in there mouth isn't always a sign, my son started drooling at like 2 months and putting everything in his mouth, he hardly drools now that he is teething. Some babys don't get any signs of teething though. When my sons gums hurt he'll go get me his infant ibprofen (age 6 plus months) and dropper, so i can give him some. He knows where i keep it. but only does it once a day or everyother day.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 3:49 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Babies drool because their saliva glands are producing and they don't know how to swallow yet.

To be sure, you'll see the tooth coming through. LOL Other than that, I found the best way to tell was to put your (clean) finger on their gums and massage...if they calm, and/or clamp down on your finger, it feels good and they're probably teething.

Do not use orajel or ambesol (according to our pediatrician) because they can make the throat numb if you use a little bit too much and they could choke (not being able to feel that there is anything in their throat)

Motrin works best if your baby can tolerate it (mine cannot...makes them all puke even now). Tylenol and teething tablets work well for most.

Two of mine...we didn't know they were teething until the teeth were in. My last, he was a little bit fussier, but that was it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:59 AM on Aug. 4, 2009