i am a mother of 2 boys. our oldest is 5 years old and has a really bad temper. if he dosent get his way he will freak out and thow a really bad temper tantrum. he screams and kicks and yells. is there anything we can do for this behavior? he has a really bad behavior problem.

wife_and_mom

Asked by wife_and_mom at 1:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Watch a few episodes of Super Nanny!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 7:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• You could begin by reading an age appropriate book which shows him how silly it looks and a better way for him to handle it.  http://www.cjkidz.com/parentsgrandparentsteachers.html  See some here Click on the Anger/Acting Out/Temper Tantrums.

Teach him a better way of communicating his anger to you by verbalizing it.  When he does, acknowledge that he is angry, but don't give in.  If he continues to have a tantrum, tell him he needs to go to his  room until he can tell you (verbally with his words).  When he does tell him that you are glad he let you know and you understand he is really mad.  But still don't give in. Sometimes kids don't have the verbal skills to communicate anger, thus the temper tantrum.

momjs

Answer by momjs at 8:04 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Good luck. My oldest daughter is that way. She has major behavior problems. She just turned 9 and when she doesn't get her way she throws a tantrum worse then any 2yo I've ever seen. She kicks, screams, hits me, throws things (usually at her brother), purposefully breaks her sister's toys, slams doors, etc. This has been going on and getting progressively worse since she turned 3. My son is 15 months younger but 20lbs heavier and 3" taller and he's terrified of her. She tried to push him down the stairs once because she was mad she had to clean her room. He won't go around her if she is having a fit because of that and she has thrown heavy objects at him and dropped a heavy remote controlled car on his head one day (gave him a slight concussion).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:53 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• justanotherjen: sounds like she needs anger management counseling and an evaluation for behavior problems. Her behavior is not only unacceptable, but inappropriate and dangerous to herself and others. Get her help before she really hurts your baby.

To OP: I recommend an evlauation with a child counselor. My son had anger problems and I took him to a child/play therapist and it worked wonders. He was 5 years old and had a few months of therapy and he was a different kid. He was so angry that he punched a hole in my parents shed, hit me, broke things, etc. Now, he is 13 and knows how to control his anger and get rid of it appropriately.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Greater joy ministries is a marriage and child training ministry which is very good in this area. Good Luck
    Micheal & Debi Pearl
    vmommy3

Answer by vmommy3 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• Oh sorry Michael n Debi Pearl are the founders, Sorry left that out, you could google them.
    vmommy3

Answer by vmommy3 at 11:49 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• My son is the same way, he is 5 and has major outburst. He hits me, screams, kicks, bites, and throws things. Most of the time the anger is directed at me. He has several issues we are dealing with but the anger is the worse. He did really well when he was in therapy last year but his therapist took a medical leave and then quit so now that we are moving we are going to be looking for one. Therapy is a great thing for a child with anger managment issues.
    jerzee11

Answer by jerzee11 at 10:04 PM on Aug. 8, 2009