Does therapy really help?

I mean, I could easily come on here or finda stranger on the street and talk to them once a week and it'd be the same thing right. I've had bad experiences with therapists as they all think I'm fine. I'm just not sure it's anything worth doing right now.

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 1:39 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'll be your shrink

Now tell me, my child, what is ailing you?
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:46 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I had a couple mediocre therapists and then I saw for a brief time a "Psychiatrist". A world of difference! The others were psychologists. She helped me out so much when I was going through a bad marriage. I swear I was nearing a nervous breakdown. My life changed dramatically after only a few sessions. I'm not knocking all psychologists, but I highly recommend therapy and I highly recommend that if you don't see any benefit, try a new therapist.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:49 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• No ,finding a stranger on the street is not the same. A therapist has experience and has a degree. A good therapist also has compassion and knows/wants to help you.
    Also, a therapist can only help somebody who is completely honest and wants to be helped. The patient needs to have an open mind and heart. The patient also needs to be very trusting. If you're "not sure" it probably isn't the right time.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i dont know if it works and therapists/counselors usually tell u ur fine because they are there to simply be a listener and e make a suggestion...not to tell u anything is wrong with u psychiatrists or psychologists are who you need to go to, they are licenensed to judge.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• What exactly do you need therapy for? I went to therapy as a child when my parents got divorced and I loved it because I had a great therapist. I went again when I was a teenager and my therapist did not help at all. So I just stopped going. I better choice would have been for my parents to try a new one. I would go to counseling again if needed and if the person I was seeing didn't help me I would seek one out that could. HTH
    ronisaurus

Answer by ronisaurus at 2:09 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Therapy can help LOADS. But you have to find the right therapist...AND you need to understand that the therapist is very likely to tell you things you don't want to hear.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I agree that a therapist can help you tremendously but that you definately need to find the right therapist.
    scarlett0720

Answer by scarlett0720 at 10:24 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I don't think so. I have had a couple of friends who went to therapy and never really felt they got any help. They just paid someone to sit and listen to them. That would be worth the cost, maybe, if there had been a solution offered for the problem. I told my friends I would have listened for free and would have been more than happy to tell them what to do. I love bossing people around. I enjoyed the smile, the finger, and the hug I got!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:15 AM on Aug. 4, 2009