If Breastfeeding, Which Brand of Pacifier is Best?

ap.sahm

Asked by ap.sahm at 2:01 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A baby's MOM is the best pacifier!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 9:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2009

• Truly? None at all.

Thing is you never know which baby is going to have nipple confusion and if they're prone to it, the pacifier brand DOESN'T matter.

If they are NOT prone to it, the pacifier brand STILL doesn't matter. At that poin you go with infant preference.

If you choose to use a paci, beware of latch changes. If they happen, toss the paci to save your nipples.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:07 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I didn't want my DS to have a pacifier because of nipple confusion.. in the hospital I gave in and they gave me I think it was called a soothie.. well anyways my son never took to it, which now I am thankful for!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 2:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I really like the Soothie nipples and pacifiers. My son never liked them, but I always had them. They're actually shaped like a nipple, unlike those other ones..I dont 'know what those look like!
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:34 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• DS wouldnt take a soothie but I wanted him to have one since they are proven to reduce the risk of sids. the first one he ever took to was a round one (no flat side on the nipple) with a round "handle) and butterlfy shaped base. Not sure of the brand, probably NUK but he loved it and it was the only one he wanted....I was nursing him at the time and while we had a rough start (no binky to blame because he didn't have one) it got easier and the binky didnt seem to change his nursing patterns.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 4:06 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• im breastfeeding and using the soothie
    ALLIE637

Answer by ALLIE637 at 4:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• After breastfeeding is established it is fine to use a pacifier. Give whatever one he'll take (lots of babis like soothies to start with then like a different one when they get older.) Also, a pacifier reduces the risk of SIDS. Personally I liked Naturesutten because they are all natural.
    RyaMamaRN

Answer by RyaMamaRN at 4:42 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I agree with the last post. Once a good routine is established, nipple confusion isnt as likely. You will really just have to try a few out. In the hospital, they gave me a soothie and he liked it. I thought it was ugly looking because of its shape, but I thought...whatever he likes. I eventually swapped him over to the Nuk's which are classic in my family. Babies are so funny about stuff. My oldest took the playtex bottle, rubber nipple and nuk passys. My second was breastfed but also like the nuk passys and sometimes the MAM's. My third took an avent bottle with silicone nipple and wanted a MAM rubber passy. My fourth had to be bottle fed so I started him on a silicone Avent bottle and he did not do well, so I switched to the playtex silicone and he did fine. Because of this, he had to have a silicone passy. The nuks come in rubber and silicone and he refuses to take the rubber ones. Keep a few different ones on hand.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:08 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Nipple confusion I think is only bad if you pump and give him a bottle. Other than that mine loves the Nuk brand. We had nipple confusion when I pumped. I stopped pumping and never stopped giving him a pacifier and he is fine.
    QuintinsMom520

Answer by QuintinsMom520 at 7:38 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• In the hospital they gave my son a MAM, but when the lactation consultant came in the first thing she told me was to get rid of that and give him one shaped like a nipple - we use the soothie. I've had people stop me in restaurants and ask where i got it - i buy them at target.

Answer by missanc at 9:01 AM on Aug. 4, 2009