How do you get the smell of smoke out of a house?

We are in the process of buying a home and the previous owners were serious smokers. The carpet was JUST replaced this weekend, so that takes care of part of it, and we're planning to wash the walls with TSP and then repaint the ENTIRE house. Do you think that will do it, or do we need to do more? Thanks.

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 2:05 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• bleach the walls before you paint over them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• That should do hon, but don't forget Vents and other things that really need to be cleaned or replaced (filters) ugh. I am a smoker but never in my home. My parents were indoor smokers and I know about how vents can hold the smell in the filters CONGRATS on the new home!
    ~Gigi1969
    Mamasita98

Answer by Mamasita98 at 2:18 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Activated charcoal. Place a bowl of it in each room, and a small bowl in each closet as well, and it should be completely gone in a couple of days.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 2:21 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Thanks Gigi! It's our first home, and we're very excited!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:35 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• you can also buy sprays similar to febreze we used them in a home that had a smoke smell, we found the sprays at walmart where they have the lighters near the tabacco. they work great on smoke and other smells too.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• that should do it as long as u clean ceiling fans and ac vents too. Also if u use bleach or any other soap or detergent before u paint make sure u rinse the walls well or your paint will bubble up after it dries and will pop off. There is also a new paint by Behr paints(Home Depot) that absorbs odors in the home similar to FEBREEZE.
    mscoffeeluvr

Answer by mscoffeeluvr at 3:14 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Baking soda works wonders! You can sprinkle it into the carpet to absorb odors, then vacuum it up. Also, leave a container of it just sitting in each room, it will absorb odors.
    I would also reccommend getting your air ducts professionally cleaned.
    Good luck on your new home!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 4:19 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• was everything iwth TSP... take out all carpet and wallpaper. TSP the walls and then paint. My parents went through the same problem and thats what they did. the Nicotine tar and smoke was everywhere and this worked the best.
    AirborneBratMom

Answer by AirborneBratMom at 8:46 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• the first part of my answer somehow got cut off... "clean everything with TSP...."
    AirborneBratMom

Answer by AirborneBratMom at 8:47 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Congratulations on buying a new house! You must be so happy!

A pp mentioned activated charcoal, which I agree with. Others mentioned cleaning your vents and filters, which will help, too.
    When you wash the walls, be sure to dilute the bleach (I'm sure you already knew that), use gloves, wear plastic aprons over old clothing, and protect your new carpeting. Also, open all window for ventilation and run fans, too, if you can. Don't forget to wash the ceilings, too. You should notice a lot of yellow/brown come off the walls when you wash them.

My Grammy had to wash the walls & ceilings in her little house every year because my uncle constantly smoked and they turned so yellow/brown. She was always opening her windows, vacuuming, dusting, and cleaning to keep the smell down because she was asthmatic.

Best wishes! I wish I were there to help.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2009