Amnio to be done in nine days...a few questions

I will be 38 weeks in nine days....I am a little scared...I know the majority of risks are early in pregnancy when this procedure is done but still scared...

My question is....at 38 weeks what are the risks.....I mean I know the baby could die if say they doctor(who by the way is the best in his field) hits the placenta....and I know my water can break....but are they're any other risks than that....

And I know the baby maybe pricked by the needle....other than that

Thanks for all your answers

Mamaof2boys0709

Asked by Mamaof2boys0709 at 5:28 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Why amnio this late in pregnancy?
    EscVelocity

Answer by EscVelocity at 5:30 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I had min done at 37 weeks and i went into labor 20 min later. So dont drive .
    vickyburns

Answer by vickyburns at 5:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• in my honest opinion I wouldnt take the risk, Ive known 6 women who have lost there babies shortly after having the Amnio. and they were pretty far along so It was a major heart crusher. Good luck hun!
    Emo_mommy

Answer by Emo_mommy at 6:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• They use ultrasound at the same time to figure out where to place the needle, so don't worry too much about them hitting the placenta, etc.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• What is the point? Whatever they could learn they will learn in 2-5 weeks anyway. Does your baby have something that requires a specialist on site when you deliver? Do you really believe that the lab results will be back so fast that it will matter? Why are you even considering this?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I had one done around 22 weeks. I was scared naturally, like you are, but it was okay. SWasson is right, they use ultrasound to guide the needle. The risks involved are like 1% or less. All I felt afterward was a small burning/itching sensation from where the needle was. I had a healthy baby almost 4 weeks past due!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• is there a reason why they're doing the amnio so late in the pregnancy?
    personally, i wouldn't have it done. there's too many risks involved at any stage of pregnancy. i didn't have it done last yr. to me, if there would have been anything wrong, it didn't matter to us. we would still love our baby and figure everything out when i had my son.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 8:30 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• The risks are definitely larger at this very late stage of your pregnancy. And it looks like we're all wondering the same thing: Why are you having one done?? Lol
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:55 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• the reason i want it done is because i want to make sure his lungs are developed enough....my first son was 6 weeks early and i dont want another baby in the nicu...it was hard learning how to change the feeding tube and watching my son struggle and i just dont want to do it....all the gene testing has been done....and he is fine according to that....and even if something did come back it wouldnt phase me....i just dont want to go through the heart ache of having to learn all of that again
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• But you ARE NOT six weeks early! You are term and require only a little more baking. Unless you are planning to do something silly like induce there IS NO REASON to do an amnio to test for lung maturity. The risk is too high and you could go into labor early which is NOT what you want. In your efforts to prevent a heartache in a pregnancy that has NOTHING to do with your first you can very well create the situation you are hoping to avoid. Ease off, let it go. You aren't having a preemie this time so don't stress about it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2009