Anyone had a compression fracture of the spine? Could you please tell me about it and how it felt?

RettsMom

Asked by RettsMom at 6:47 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Health

• my ol man has fractured his vertebrae twice, but not from a compression fracture, but rather an injury. he was left very stiff and in pain for about 6 weeks the first time and 8 weeks the second time. now, he can barely bend over because of the arthritis that has set in.
    a compression vertebrae fracture usually results from age, vitamin deficiencies and osteoporosis. as the spinal bones become hollowed out from calcium being taken away for the body's usage they develop weakened areas. then the weight from the bones above cause the vertebrae to compress or flatten. sometimes on one side causing nerve damage on one side of your body ( usually the legs) or the whole vertebrae will compress and that can be very painful and results in a long rehabilitative therapy.
    imagine a soda can as a vertebrae standing upright, then someone stands on the top of the can and the can compresses downward. thats a vertebral compression fracture
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:02 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Thanks for your reply, jewjewbee. I ask because I am in alot of pain with it and was wondering if I was just being a "wus" or if it really is as painful as I think it is.
    RettsMom

Answer by RettsMom at 10:22 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Oh no sweetie....they can be incredibly painful. You are no wus....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Thanks Moms!
    RettsMom

Answer by RettsMom at 7:58 PM on Aug. 4, 2009