This question is for parents who have both boys and girls.

I only have two boys but me and myhusband really want a girl but everyone he works with keeps saying that its harder to raise girls I was wondering if this is true and if so why whats the big difference between boys and girls?

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 7:12 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have two of each. My childrens ages currently ...oldest boy 31, oldest girl 24, youngest boy 19, youngest girl 13. There wasnt anything hard about the gender to raise...it was their personalities. Each one very very different from the other. It was their interest and their friends that often made raising them difficult. I truly believe tending to their needs (not wants necessarily), staying involved in their lives especially thur the teen age years, know their friends (not control...know! there is a difference) lots of positive encouragement when right decisions are made. Teach them to believe in themselves and their decisions. So far...I have really great kids. Even though I may have failed them, they have never failed me. I think God for them & my mother every day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I have 7 yo boys and just got a newborn girl. OMG! I was afraid of having a girl too..but right now, she's got my heart.. I'm not into girly things but the bond that I have with her is sooo different..
    you will enjoy her so much!
    mschanng

Answer by mschanng at 7:18 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I have two girls and one boy. I also have 5 sisters and no brothers. Girls are just more emotional than boys.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 7:21 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I havae a girl and a boya nd I had my girl first and my son is 10 x harder than she was she was so easy compared to him. Girls are great!!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:22 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• i think that its easier to raise a girl because of course you are one....lol
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 7:36 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Well I have 2 girls and I'm expecting, and what I would like to ask you is if it's really true that it's easier to raise boys? Lol. My girls have been easy thus far, there have been "moments" as I'm sure you probably had with your boys, I do know though that my 2.5 year old is hard-headed and quick tempered, but she gets that from me! My younger one is so laid back compared to her. I've heard boys are very laid back as infants/toddlers. Is this true? I really want my "momma's boy"! :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:44 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• They both have their unique challenges and blessings. I only have a 10 month old girl and 2 boys, but I had one sister and 2 brothers. My brothers gave my parents a ton of grief. But then my sister did at times too. It is going to be different, but I don't think you can really compare it!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:46 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I have a 4 year old boy and 2 year old girl and I wouldn't say either was harder or easier so far. Personally I think they are equally difficult, just difficult in different ways.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:46 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• it depends on the child and not the sex. My youngest daughter is a handful. My older two (1 boy 1 girl) were both so easy until they became teens.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:48 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I have one of each.  It completely depends on the child.  They each have their "moments" both good and bad.  Yes, girls are more emotional, but my son, was quiet and didn't communicate much (which leaves your mind to have to wonder rather than knowing and have to guess what is going on.  Not "knowing" during teenage years was hard)   I wouldn't trade one for the other.  I love them both and feel  very blessed. 

momjs

Answer by momjs at 7:51 AM on Aug. 4, 2009