For the Military Moms...

We are about to start a deployment. How do I explain to my 17 mo old whats happening?

AirborneBratMom

Asked by AirborneBratMom at 8:19 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dh deployed when my dd was 8 mos. Now she is 21 mos and I've been trying to explain. She still searches for her daddy (his leave was in April). I tried to explain daddy is fighting for us and he will be home later. She doesn't understand. I tried tellng her at least where he is and I guess Iraq sounds like rock so of course when we see a rock she gets excited!
    All I've really been able to do is let her hear our phone conversations and tell her when Daddy is on the phone. She picked out a pic of him (when she was 9 mos old) to hang by her bed and we say "ny-nite Daddy" every night. She points him out in every picture. Just let him know daddy will come home and show him LOTS of pictures!!!!
    I also have that sesame street dvd (was given to us) and we haven't watched it so IDK how it is.. but I will be trying it now!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• You don't, he/she is to young to understand. The only thing he/she might understand is Daddy is at work, Daddy gone bye bye.

Answer by louise2 at 8:22 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Hm...I wouldn't try to explain exactly. Your child isn't old enough to understand the concept of time. I would just tell him/her that Daddy has to go to work, that his work is very important. I would also have your husband make some videos if possible, maybe of him reading a few of your child's favorite bedtime stories. That way your child can see Daddy every day before bed. And if your husband has the ability to bring a small video camera with him and send more home, that is even better. Good luck!
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 8:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• That is much too young to explain anything. My DD is 18 m/o and she doesn't understand Daddy is at work. My 2 1/2 y/o DS does to some degree.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 10:04 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• if you really want to do something there is a sesame street dvd for deployments. i would get a picture frame that you can record his voice so that he hears daddys voice every day. just small things for now since your child is still young.
    katie_s1

Answer by katie_s1 at 10:54 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

REALLY GOODVIDEO I OWN IT. LUCKILY DH HAST DEPLOY SINCE WE STARTED HAVING KIDS
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:22 PM on Aug. 4, 2009