Babies and funerals

My grandmother's viewing will be Wednesday night and the funeral on Thursday. It's a Russian Orthodox funeral so I know it will be long. Anyone have their babies at a funeral and can provide some tips? My little guy just turned 2 months and we have him on a pretty good feeding schedule, but I don't want him fussing during the service. My husband is a pall bearer and obviously all the family will be there so getting a babysitter is not an option.

amw529

Asked by amw529 at 8:40 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Bring extra bottles and pacifiers. If you have an infant seat that is also a carrier, that is great, because hopefully he will sleep at some point. If your child does become fussy, and you have to get up and walk around with him, I'm sure your family will understand. I'm sorry for your loss, and good luck.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 8:45 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• We took our daughter to my husbands grandmothers funeral when she was about 4 months old. She fussed a little, but honestly, it helped to lighten the mood a little bit. If she starts to get fussy, just take her outside for a few minutes. I am sure your family will understand.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

MommyToAly429

Answer by MommyToAly429 at 8:49 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I agree with KIKIKIKI. Bringing a baby to this type of thing is always a, hope she/he act good thing.

Answer by louise2 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I agree with Kikikiki, the carrier will be your best bet!
    MommyToAly429

Answer by MommyToAly429 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• If she's on a fairly tight schedule, then you have a good idea of when she will get fussy, so be proactive and step when you notice her getting antsy or rooting, etc. Bring the carrier, but try not to leave her in there the whole time as those get hot. I'm not too fond of the idea of a baby at a funderal, but when I went to my aunts, I had kinda wished I brought my daughter. She was almost 2 at the time. Some of the family just needed a distraction and she would have been that up beat force to keep everyone smiling and that what this funderal was about - remembering the good times, not morning her death.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• My 2 older kids have both been to funerals when they were babies, do bring bottles and pacifiers if you use them, sit near the back and on an aisle so you can get up without a lot of fuss, if you need stand in the back a listen while jiggling baby, don't be afraid to excuse yourself. When my grandfather passed I was standing in the back with my then 3 month old most of the time and she fussed loudly at times but I did not want to miss the service and no one cared since she was a baby and family. I am sorry for your loss. Good luck.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:31 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Sit toward the back, so you can make a quick break outside if the baby does start to fuss. Plan to breastfeed often (bottles, pacifiers, whatever will soothe your baby), and bring plush toys (that don't make noise) that will amuse her. With any luck, she'll take a well-timed, long nap. People will understand if you have to step out to soothe her.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:12 AM on Aug. 5, 2009