Have you had the banana and condom talk with your teen?

According to a 2006 Kaiser Family Foundation report, 25% of 15- to 19-year-olds and nearly 50% of American teens have had chlamydia, trichomoniasis, or HPV.

There are scary statistics. We had "the talk" with our daughter on her 13th birthday, and will do a refresher on her subsequent birthdays. What about you? You can even use a video to help: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/604363/how_to_use_a_condom/

Asked by rkoloms at 8:42 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Parents really, really, REALLY need to discuss contraceptives with their kids.

These discussions need to occur more than once, and need to include information on how to obtain contraceptives, how to use them correctly, and what they protect the user from.

Leaving it up to the school is not taking responsibility. By avoiding the subject because the school deals with it, you are sending your child the message that you are not open to this discussion...and when (not if, WHEN) your kids become sexually active, they will be much less likely to come to you for advice on getting a pelvic exam or obtaining the pill.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:47 AM on Aug. 6, 2009

• no. My kids had the sex talk years ago. My oldest daughters 8th grrade sex ed class showed them the proper ways to put a condom on so I didn't have too.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:15 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Really? You think that once is enough? Did your daughter's class have a hands-on lesson?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:37 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• I haven't yet. My son is 13 and not interested in anything like dating. I will have my exbf(not dad) have the banana and condom talk with him. My son isn't all that comfortable talking about sex and his body with me right now but he will talk to Jeff about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• We've had the abstinence talk, the morality talk, the sexual diseases talk, the pregnancy talk, did I mention the abstinence talk?

I'm not ignorant, I know teens will ultimately do what they want, but with that being said, they're not ignorant either and know how to use a condom. I'm not going to go to the store, buy condoms, and show my teen how to put it on a banana and TRY to avoid pregnancy, diseases and other horrible things that are a result of having sex before you're mature enough and ready for it.

To each their own.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Banana is actually great for practicing the use of condoms. Question though....what fruit shall we use to demonstrate the use of a female condom?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• oh man, how awkward. school does the condom demos so moms don't have to
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:34 PM on Aug. 4, 2009

• To those who have had the "talk" have you also included that condoms don't protect against all forms of STDs? so many people fail to forget this small but serious fact when they have the "talk" and it leaves their kids thinking that as long as they use condoms they will be 100% protected from STDs.

"oh man, how awkward. school does the condom demos so moms don't have to "

This is the problem with so many teens getting knocked up.. Parents leaving it up to other people to educate their kids. Seriously.. If you want to be sure your kid understands the risks you need to do it yourself.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:34 AM on Aug. 5, 2009

• I haven't done the "banana" thing, but I often talk to my kids about sex, abstinence, and birth control. Including the all the risks, especially the emotional ones. We have even discussed the extra benefits of various forms of birth control and the risks of them and have discussed STD's or whatever they are callin them these days.

My children are 14, 16, and 18(asperger syndrom) and are not dating yet.
    ysmeine

Answer by ysmeine at 1:03 PM on Aug. 5, 2009

• i have not did the banana thing, but I speak to her often about sex, protection and abstinents-my favorite-staying pure and precious-I am going to do the an Abstinence Pledge, with a promissory note and a ring-I hope she chooses to follow it. All I can do is pray she follows what I teach her, and pray she chooses the right path.

Hopefully she will, she is aware of Pregnancy, disease, etc.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 5, 2009