What Do You Do When You See Someone Misrepresenting Your Faith?

What do you do when you see someone misrepresenting your faith? What if, not only are they misrepresenting it, they are causing damage to your faith's reputation and using it to attack others in ways you know your religion just does not stand for?

-Do you side with the "believer," even if they are wrong?
-Do you side with the person getting wrongfully attacked and defend them?
-Do you side with your religion and let all parties involved know that this is not an acurate representation of what you believe and then state the truth?
-Do you just do nothing hope that the person stops and that the other people being attacked are ministered and witnessed to by someone else who will represent your faith better sometime in the future?

(sorry, I accidently hit the "edit" button the last time I asked this question and it deleted half of my post :-) ).

NovemberLove

Asked by NovemberLove at 8:47 AM on Aug. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• it depends..i usually have a strong 'feeling' whether my words will be respected/heard/received with the honesty i intended. when you go 'in love' to a brother/sister, and gently rebuke them, if their hearts are in the right place, and able to be convicted, they will respond inkind. but the gift of discernment is also at work here, and sometimes you just know that person will attack back, no matter how gentle the approach. you need to be armed with the right spirit, with prayer, and ask for wisdom in the rebuking of a fellow brother/sister. always love, always protect, always persevere....with prayer, is what i say. some may not receive your words in the spirit intended..you can only pray that their heart will be opened to the heart of God (in my case, speaking of fellow 'xtians') and they will hear Him, not me. pray pray pray!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:33 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• Great perspective sw33t! :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 8:57 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• There is so much heresy happening on this board that it makes one head spin. Every time a person is corrected they still find a reason for the lies that they have been taught and believe. they twist the word of Christ so much it doesn't even resemble the original word. So I've gotten to the point of why bother. I continue to help those that need it. And try to live my life as God what's. The best Quote to me is "Preach the Gospel at all times when necessary use words."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• THERE IS NO NEED FOR NAMES HERE, WE ARE ALL AWARE OF WHO YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I HAVE NO RELIGION ALTHOUGH I INHERITED CATHOLISM THROUGH MY FAMILY I WAS ONE FOR MANY YEARS WHEN DECEPTION SET IN. I HAVE A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD, A GOOD ONE I MIGHT ADD, ONE THAT ABLES ME TO SEE THE FAKES AND THE FANATICS WITH THEIR ARROGANCE AND EGOS BEING DISPLAYED FOR ALL TO SEE. I ADMIRE THOSE WHOSE FAITH IS STRONG IN THEIR RELIGION BUT ULTIMATELY RELIGION IS NOT FOR ME.
    I DO NOT CATEGORIZE THOSE FAKES AND FANATICS WITH THOSE I ADMIRE, I KNOW WHICH ONES ARE THE REPRESENTATION OF GOD AND THOSE WHO HIDE BEHIND HIM TO SPEW OUT THEIR VILE TO OTHERS.
    I DO NOT WORRY ABOUT MY ETERNAL LIFE, I WORRY WITH THE HERE AND NOW AND WHAT GOOD I CAN DO WHILE I AM HERE ON THIS EARTH, THE REST I LEAVE UP TO GOD HIMSELF, I AM CONFIDENT THAT HE WILL SEE MY GOOD INTENTIONS AND GOOD DEEDS FOR WHAT THEY ARE.

Answer by older at 9:00 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• well thats just about ever christian i know. just turn ur back and walk away is my idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• It's kinda hard to misrepresent my faith. Because I am an Eclectic Pagan I don't follow any one set in stone pagan path. I don't believe there are any that are 100%. So, it would be like a non-denom Christian getting upset because Baptists hold beliefs that they don't agree with or even getting upset because another non-denom holds beliefs closer to Catholic teachings while they believe closer to LDS beliefs...

The only thing I could think of is if someone was portraying Pagans as evil or devil worshipers, in which case I would know they aren't really believers and make a point to uncover that fact. There is an saying that says if you ask 12 witches what's a witch, you'll get 13 answers. The beauty of my beliefs is that each person can see them differently and we can still all get along.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:45 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• wow.. lol. there area a lot of questions in this question.. okay here we go:

What do you do when you see someone misrepresenting your faith? >>>>

This is hard because I am a mix of beliefs, so there really is no misrepresenting my faith. But since I am a mix, I tend to try to respect others that are of these faith (ex... I try to respectfully represent Paganism, Spiritualism, and Atheism).

What if, not only are they misrepresenting it, they are causing damage to your faith's reputation and using it to attack others in ways you know your religion just does not stand for?>>>>

that's when you have to try to step up and explain they aren't doing any good, it may not always work however, so the best thing to do at that point, is continue to express the good in your religion to others by example. You never know the friends you will make when this happens, sometimes a bad thing, can turn into a positive :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:19 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• -Do you side with the "believer," even if they are wrong?

no, I side with the side that I believe is in the right. If I am the person in the wrong, I would hope my friends would come to me and correct my errors, and I will apologize for my actions. I always try to stick by what I believe is right, and if someone is rudely trying to attack what I believe or trying to attack another my misunderstanding what we believe, then I step in. Not always in the nicest way, but if you come into something swinging, I'm not going to sit on the side lines, I'm going to step up and do what is right.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:22 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• -Do you side with the person getting wrongfully attacked and defend them?

yes. I've seen a lot of this on CM lately with Christians coming to aid non-Christians, and non-Christians reassuring Christians that we understand certain people aren't properly representing their faith, and that we won't hold these 2 individuals against the Christian faith.

nope. I'm all about fighting for what I believe is right, I don't sugar coat things. I jump right in. If someone in my party is wrong, I tell them so.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:27 AM on Aug. 4, 2009

• -Do you just do nothing hope that the person stops and that the other people being attacked are ministered and witnessed to by someone else who will represent your faith better sometime in the future?

see above answers
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:28 AM on Aug. 4, 2009